24. Getting Another New Job

Hari return home after a week and found his wife Sumithra cooking dinner. The house was quiet. He noticed that the table had been laid for only two people. "Why have you put out only two plates?, Where is Anupama?", he asked his wife.

"Oh!, She left this morning only. She got a P.G. accomodation in Bandra. I did try to pursuade her to wait until your return, but, she said she would meet you at your office later. I'll miss her alot but in a way, it's good that she moved out before my delivery. With my mother coming to help me with the baby, it would have been difficult to accomodate us all."

Hari was very upset. "Why didn't you insist that she stay with us a little longer?" he almost shouted.

Sumithra answered calmly, 'Hari, try to understand. You already helped by getting her a job. She lived with us for almost a year. Don't you think I felt bad when she left? But in life partings are inevitable. I know she was like a sister to you, but even if she had been your own sister, she couldn't have stayed with us forever.

Anupama is a very sensitive person; she would not have been comfortable staying with us indefinitely. I've told her that she is always welcome here." Hari was still upset and lashed out at Sumi, "You are a terrible cook. This food is unpalatable." He washed his hands in the plate and got up.

Sumi could not understand why Hari was being so difficult. She tried to mollify him. "I'm sorry. I must have added chilli twice. Let me bring you some sugar and lime. Don't be upset, please."

She had no way of knowing that the root cause of the problem was not the chilli powder, but something quite different. Hari knew very well that Anupama would never enter his house again when he was around, or meet him at his office.

As for Anupama, the days were carefree and she enjoyed herself as much as she could. She and Dolly got along extremely well, and through her she met many people in different walks of life.
Lately, however, Anupama had started getting bored at the office.

Her job as a clerk did not nurture her talent and creativity and was not challenging enough for her. She had begun to feel the need for a change, but she could not afford to leave her job.

One day Dolly said to her, ''Anu, there is a vacancy for a Sanskrit lecturer at a college in Vile Parle. Father Sebastian is the principal there. Remember, you met him at our Christmas party? Why don't you apply for the post?''

''How can I? I don't have any experience in teaching.''

"But you know the language well, and that should help And it doesn't say anywhere that you can't apply just because vou aren't experienced. I will also speak to Father Sebastian. . ."

Anupama went to the interview hesitantly. Apparently, chere were very few candidates for the post. There were three people on the interview panel, including Father Sebastian.

They were impressed by her academic record, One of them asked, ''Anupama, your certificates vouch for your academic excellence. But you've been working as a clerk for the last year. One would have thought that with your qualification you would have opted for research or for a teaching job. Why did you choose to do a clerical job?''

Anupama hesitated, and then, in a low tone, she replied, "I had some personal problems.''

Father Sebastian explained the nature of the job. "This is not going to be just a lecturer's job. Our college has a very good cultural centre. We are looking for someone who will make the students aware of our culture, and motivate them to participate in intercollegiate events; someone who is familiar with Sanskrit plays, and is willing to participate in our theatre programmes. Our college is fairly big, so you will have to work really hard.'

Anupama was overjoyed. ''Certainly, Father! I would love to direct the plays.'' Anupama no longer hoped to play the role of a heroine-the white patches now covered her hands as well.

🥀🥀🥀

Dolly's wedding was a big event. It took place in the Bandra Church with all her cousins from Goa and Australia in attendance. After the wedding, Dolly's mother went to Goa, and Dolly left with her husband for Melbourne.

Over the past few months, Anupama had become a part of their family, and Dolly's eyes brimmed with tears when she said goodbye to Anupama. ''Anu, my mother and I don't want to sell this house or get a builder to develop it, right now.

This bungalow has been with our family for ages, and we want to retain it as long as possible. I don't trust my cousins, but I have complete faith in you. Please stay here as long as you want and look after it. You needn't give me any rent.''

It was unbelievable! No documents were to be signed, and no money was exchanged.

Based on faith alone, Doily was entrusting her with their precious home! Anupama agreed enthusiastically. ''Dolly, the house will always be waiting for you. Whenever you want me to leave, just tell me in advance,'' she said as she bid Dolly goodbye.

Anu was sad for a while after she left her old job and joined the college. She missed her colleagues, but as a lecturer she soon became confident and self-assured. She had removed her mangalsutra- it had weighed down on her heavily, in more ways than one.

Without being conscious of it, a visit to the seashore to gaze at the waves had become a part of Anupama's daily routine. She loved wandering along the Bandra seashore, watching the endless waves smash tirelessly against the black rocks, oblivious to everything else.

Sumi gave birth to a baby boy. Hari was transferred to Kolhapur a few weeks later. Anupama went to see Sumi and the baby before they left, and gave the baby a gold chain. Sumi was very happy to see her and whispered in the baby's ear, "Look, your aunt has come to see you."
Anupama shrank from the word 'aunt'.
"I am not your aunt. I am just your mother's best friend."