32. Anand Meets Anupama For The Last Time

Anupama had left a message for Vasant on the answering machine. 'Vasant, I
want to talk to you about something important and personal. Could you come to my house at six this evening?'
Vasant wondered what it could be, but somewhere deep inside he was thrilled.

Satya had also heard the message but, rather uncharacteristically, had not joked about it. He looked at life from a different perspective now. He told Vasant, 'I respect Anupama a lot. She is such a balanced person. Even with all the odds stacked against her, she is always optimistic. Life has treated her badly and given her so many shocks, but she is never bitter.'

'That's why I never consider her unfortunate, Satya. She has a soft heart but great strength of mind. Whoever marries her will be really lucky.'
Satya smiled and agreed with him.
When Vasant reached Anupama's house, she was waiting for him in the veranda. A cool breeze was blowing in from the sea.

Anupama said, 'Vasant, I have a small wish. And only you can help me fulfil it. I cannot do it alone.'

'What is it?' Vasant was intrigued.
'There is an international medical conference in Bombay. After that, there is a cultural programme. The organizer is Mr Mojwani and I know that he is your patient. The theatre group in my college wants to perform Swapna Vasavadutta as part of the programme. Mr Mojwani says that people will not understand the
play as it is in Sanskrit. But we will give the commentary in English. Could you
request him to at least see our play and then decide whether to include it or not?
If he finds that it is not really suitable, he can always reject it. Will you please
talk to him on our behalf?'

Vasant was disappointed. He had hoped she wanted to have a more personal
conversation with him.

'Who told you Mr Mojwani is my patient?'

'Satya.'

'Anupama, I don't expect anything in return when I treat my patients. Nor do I think that they should feel obliged to me forever. Some people don't wish to have anything to do with the doctor once they're done paying the fees, but Mr Mojwani is different. He firmly believes that I cured him of a chronic infection and is always eager to help me. I'll definitely put in a word to him but the decision will be his. I know only two people who are always trying to help
others, and he is one of them.'

'Who is the other person?'

'You, Anupama. The way you looked after Satya, the love you show your students, and your deep commitment as an artiste. . . No one else could be like you.'

Vasant's admiration for her grew stronger each day—she had asked him for a favour but on behalf of somebody else. She was truly an extraordinary woman—compassionate, caring and eager to serve anyone in need. She took so much pleasure in everyone else's happiness, and that was indeed a rare quality. Perhaps, there were a few other women like her, but what were his chances of meeting them, wondered Vasant.

He decided, at that moment, to voice something that had been in his heart for a while. 'Anupama, I'd like to ask you something. . .'

'What is that?'

'I came to Bombay to do my Master's and have worked here since then to gain some experience. Now I want to go back to my village and serve the people there. That is my dream. Will you be a part of my life and complete my dream?
Will you share my happiness and sorrows in future?'

Anupama stood dumbstruck for a while. She had never expected this from Vasant. And then she laughed ruefully while her eyes brimmed with tears.

'Vasant, what are you saying? What do you know about me? Aren't you aware of my condition? Just a week back, a new patch appeared on my ear. My disease is beyond any cure now. Within a couple of years, my face will also be white.