33. THE END

Vasant was supposed to leave for his village in three weeks' time, so he went to Anupama's house to find out whether she had decided to accept his proposal.

He was usually a calm and collected person, but that morning, his anxiety got the better of him. When he looked at Anupama, he was unable to fathom what was going on in her mind.

The same smile, the same simple cotton sari, the same clear brown eyes. . .

'Would you like some tea, Vasant?'

'No Anupama, I want to hear your decision.'

'I am sorry, Vasant, but please forget your idea. I don't want to get entangled again in the same circle of husband and family. My past has taught me a very valuable lesson. I don't want a family of my own. Please go back to your village and carry on with your work there. That is your aim in life. My life must follow a different path. I know only too well the prejudices that people like me will have to face in a small village. Bombay has become very dear to my heart; nobody reminds me that I am a leukoderma patient. I don't have any complaints about my life here. This is my world and I am very happy in it.

'Anupama, you won't be young forever. Who will look after you in your old
age?'

'Do you really think we should marry and have children so that we have
someone to look after us in our old age? That is not right. Others have their own lives to lead, too.'

'Anu, is there nothing I can say to persuade you to change your decision?'

'Vasant, I will never forget your friendship or your affection, that you would want to marry me after knowing about my disease and background shows your kind-heartedness. But I don't want that sort of a life. You should marry someone like you, with a simple and compassionate heart, preferably a doctor, who can also help you in your work. Please remember that whenever you come to Bombay, this Mahashweta will always welcome you as a friend and her house will be open to you. We have become good friends. Let us remain so, and not complicate our relationship by getting married.'

Tears welled up in Anupama's eyes. She went inside and fetched a small
packet which she gave to Vasant.

'What is this?' he asked.

'It is a sweater that I have knitted for you. Please wear it during the cold weather. Don't worry about me. Satya will be here and he will take care of me. I wish you all the best in your work.'

Anupama smiled and Vasant tried hard to hide his unhappiness. "Oh God! If only I had known her before her husband ruined her life, I would not have lost this priceless jewel!"

They were interrupted by a knock on the door. Anupama's student Vinita stood at the threshold. She said, 'Can I come in, Ma'am?'

'Of course, Vinita.'

'Ma'am, we have chosen a play for our college day.'

'Which one?'

'Ma'am, it seems you were the heroine of that play in your college days and everyone would love to see you in that role once again. Do you remember?'

'How can I forget Mahashweta?'

Anupama started reciting the lines which had been engraved in her mind. . .

'Like Rohini to Chandra, like Lakshmi to Narayana, am I to him. Just as the creeper depends on a tree, I depend on him. I cannot live without him, and for his sake, I am ready to renounce everything. Let society say anything it wishes. I do not care. . .'

This time Vinita would play the lead role, and she would be directed by the real Mahashweta. Vasant, like Pundarika, would be separated from Mahashweta. . .but in this case, it would be forever.

As they say, life imitates art.

Anupama smiled.

Only Vasant could understand the meaning of that smile.

🍃🍃

So, guys, the story ends. . .
Hope you enjoyed it.
Do check out my other story, "Unkindled Love" - A SlayyPoint Fanfiction
Till, then, Goodbye :)