Chapter 23: Working For Damon

After the meal, Ava Dior walked to his secretary's office, which was opened, like a post.

"Mr. Smith said I should-" she stared at her, but the avid way Kiara turned her attention back to her told Ava Dior how disruptive Kiara might be. She wanted to ask for her surname so she could refer to her with, but... Her glare killed all her thoughts.

"Follow me. I'd take you to your first assignment of the day." Kiara rolled her eyes while Ava Dior followed. Full of enthusiasm, she hope to get along with Damon's secretary. Only if...

Ava Dior followed along as they walked a couple of doors away from the CEO's office. Kiara opened the door, and it was gloomy because of the locked windows. Only goodness knows for how long it had been deserted.

Kiara took a step in and leaned on the wall. Her arm reached out to the socket, and she switched it on.

"Come here." She turned back to Ava Dior and rolled her eyes. Ava Dior did as instructed.

The room was really dusty and stuffy. Her ocean-blue eyes searched the place, and it was a small office.

"So, pack up everything here into the office you saw me earlier and everything here back to my old office." She pointed to the office eastward, at the edge of the block. "And within an hour." With her last words, her cold eyes landed on hers.

"Okay ma'am. I'd do my best." Ava Dior replied with a smile. Hoping the office will be hers, she first carried a pile of files while Kiara monitored her arrangements.

"This is my office so, make sure you clean up here before packing. Your time starts now." Kiara folded her arms with pride in her eyes while she stepped outside, to avoid the dusts.

"Okay." she replied, sad that the office is for Kiara and she had to help her clean up and move. Inside the office was a broomstick, bucket mopping stick and other cleaning equipments.

'What's it about her?' Ava Dior cut off the thought, concentrating on the cleaning instead. 'Thank goodness I didn't wear a skirt or a heel.' She told herself, looking at her peach jumpsuit and pink flats. She cleaned up the place with no delay and arranged the new files on Kiara's former desk, which was now her new office.

Although it almost took her an hour of cleaning up, Kiara had little things on her desk. Just a computer system, a cellular telephone and a couple of business related books and files. What took time was the moping and cleaning of Kiara's new office.

After the task, Ava Dior settled into her new office. Finally, she is the personal assistant to the CEO of Smith Inc. It feels good, indeed. About to dial Aunt Diane's contact to inform her she would stay, Kiara came again. The look on her face was as if Ava Dior had done something wrong. She dropped her phone abruptly as her eyes met up with her icy glare. Ava Dior swallowed hard in her throat, a little startled. She did not know his secretary was already by her doorstep or even watching.

"What are you doing?"

"Umm... I just finished cleaning up the place." Ava Dior's eyebrows pulled up in puzzlement, catching a breath.

"I asked you a simple question." Kiara snapped. "What are you doing?"

"Settling in my office... Awaiting another assignment, if there's any." She pointed out, with a little confidence.

"Good. Follow me." she instructed in a bossy manner.

Walking after her, Ava Dior saw a lady walk out of Damon's office with him by her side. She wore a tan-brown, skinny-fit micro-grown and a five-feet, black heels. He enveloped an arm at the small of her back while they walked into the elevator. The lady had electric blue eyes and, of course, dirty blond hair. Ava Dior couldn't avoid faking a smile while she watched them go, but Damon didn't even notice her presence.

Looking back, Kiara noticed she was distracted. "Would you keep wasting my time, or I should report to him about your incompetence?"

"Sorry, ma'am." Ava apologized with her head bowed to the ground.
'There was no need asking. That must be his girlfriend.' She pondered.

Kiara just hissed and let her into her office. She spent the whole day running errands for Kiara and receiving endless calls from new customers. Although they weren't even work related, Ava Dior wished she could have signed up for an actual job instead of this. Damon is hardly around and Kiara never allowed her to take a minute break. As if she didn't want her working in Smith Inc. Ava Dior only met him twice; when they had breakfast and when he was accompanying the pretty lady, who she assumed was his girlfriend.

First day at work was hectic. Ava Dior took a taxi back home and getting back to springs felt like forever. She busted the door open and jumped on the soft sofa. 'Ugh! Now I think I should call Aunt Diane, but what do I tell her?' Ava thought about it before dialing her contact.

"Hello Aunt Diane!" she started with a raised voice, even though every joint of her body cracked.

"Hello Ava Dior, I was just about to call you. Did you come to a conclusion? How was your first day at work?" a soft chuckle followed her question, as if she was excited that the both of them were getting along together.

"Fine, we talked things out, and he offered me to be his personal assistant."

"Wow, that's outstanding! A pleasant position to start with. So, tell me more... What am I missing?"

She just rolled her eyes, not knowing what her aunt wanted to hear.

"Nothing, I mean... It's my first day. I'm still new to a lot of things and people."

"Awwwn, I get, but don't worry, you'll understand everything in no time. You mean Damon isn't giving you a hard time in office?"

"No, he isn't." She lied.

"Well, that's commendable! That means he had changed a lot from when I last remembered?" The words gushed out from her mouth in excitement.

"What do you mean?"

"It's complicated." Diane pointed out. "Damon is usually tough and difficult to handle, but if you say he's changed, then I believe you. I'm so excited you agreed to work with him, anyway."

"I'd have to go now. I need to shower up and eat. Before the weekend, I would call again." Ava Dior yawned and wiped a hand through her heavy head.

"Okay then, have a pleasant night."

"Bye!"

"Bye." Ava Dior ended the call and a heavy sigh escaped her lips. She felt bad about having lied to Aunt Diane, but she had no choice. 'Maybe she's right after all. I would understand everything in no time.' she said to herself and dragged her lazy legs upstairs.