22

Bert sat across Sebina who had her head in her hands. They were on their flight back home and she had been stressed since last night.

After Faizal dropped the call, Sebina had desperately tried to call him back but he seemed to have switched off his phone. Bert had grabbed a towel and quickly helped her out of the tub to their bedroom.

This morning she refused to eat, obsessing over her phone and now here they were.

"So you didn't tell him that you are coming here with me?" Bert cautiously asked.

"Yes!" she snapped. Then she calmed down and apologised. "I told him that it was just a business conference. I didn't go into too much detail about you or our fake engagement."

Bert nodded. "Look, we'll explain everything-"

"Not we. I. I'll explain everything. Alone."

A stewardess brought a tray of food for them. "Eat up," Bert encouraged. "You're going to need the energy. Please, just eat."

Sebina nodded and with difficulty, ate what she could.

.

Hours later, she was frantically knocking at Faizal's door and no one was answering. She tried calling again but his phone was off.

A woman passed by in the corridor and Sebina stopped her. "Hi...do you know where the man that lives in this place is?"

"No. He moved earlier this week."

Sebina nodded and then turned back to go to her house.

She jumped into the shower, letting the warm water cascade over her and wash all the negativity she felt away. The only thing that got her out was the ringing of the doorbell.

Upon opening the door, she stared in surprise because there stood Faizal, scowling. He invited himself in and then stood in the hallway, staring at the wet Sebina who stared right back.

"I want you to tell me everything," he said, sounding calm.

Sebina wiped the water dripping down her face. "I'm going to put on clothes-"

"No. Talk now."

"Do you want to sit down-"

"Sebina!"

She nodded. "Bert invited me to Cameroon for an event whereby he was hoping to be awarded a tender. He was willing to invest some money in my business-"

"In exchange for what?"

"I had to pretend to be his fiancé. His associates like me and he thought bringing me along might increase his chances of-"

"Did you fuck him?"

Sebina stared at Faizal, shocked. "What?"

"Did you fuck him?"

"No!"

"Did you do anything sexual with him?"

"Not really-"

Faizal's nose flared and he clenched his fist. "Not really? So that means something happened between you two!"

"I kissed him! I kissed him but it meant nothing! I was just trying to sell the idea of us being engaged. I swear it meant nothing-"

Faizal ran his hand over his hair. "Fuuuuck!" he yelled, pacing. He was angry. Sebina had never seen him like this. "I am going to kill him!"

Sebina placed her hands on his cheeks, trying to calm him down. "Faizal...Faizal, look at me..."