16 | Two Steps Forward

Disclaimer: I do not own this, nor am I profiting off the display of this story in any way.

Hermione could feel the butterflies rushing around her stomach as she walked nervously into the antenatal clinic at St. Mungo's to see the sonographer for her first scan. She'd been waiting for this moment since she'd found out that she was pregnant. It would be the first glimpse of her baby and to say that she was excited was an understatement. There was also a little bit of worry. The main purpose of this scan was to check if the baby was at high risk of Down's Syndrome. The thought of there being anything wrong caused her some anxiety.

As did the prospect of Malfoy attending this appointment with her.

They were attending an appointment together as if they were any normal couple.

As she looked around, she saw that Malfoy was already there, eyeing the pregnancy literature on the walls uneasily. She couldn't help the smile as she took in how out-of-place he looked. It probably didn't help that the other man in the room was with a pregnant woman, whereas Malfoy sat there, conspicuous on his own.

Hermione thought she'd better go and put him out of his misery. He gave an audible sigh of relief as she slid into the seat next to him.

"Thank Salazar!" he said. "I was getting funny looks. I think that bloke over there thought I had some crazy pregnant lady fetish or something and was after his wife."

A laugh escaped her at that. "Sorry, I got held up at the office. I was worried I was actually going to be late."

It was the staring after she'd arrived that made the horrible idea dawn on her. She could kick herself from not thinking about this earlier. She looked around the small clinic room to see that the other couple waiting and the receptionist had their eyes glued on them almost as if they couldn't believe what was in front of them.

"What are we doing?" she hissed at her blond companion.

"What?"

"This is the stupidest idea ever! We should've disguised you. With all the speculation about us – how could we just turn up at an antenatal clinic?"

Malfoy shrugged as this wasn't a particularly new idea to him. "The news of your pregnancy was going to come out at some point."

She narrowed her eyes at him. "You've already thought that this was a possibility, haven't you?"

"To be honest, Granger, I'm surprised that you didn't. Even if the staff in the clinic are professional enough to keep their mouths shut, I doubt the couple over there will do the same."

Hermione eyed them nervously. They were whispering to each other, which could be about anything, but they kept shooting little furtive glances towards her and Malfoy.

"They might not say anything," she said, more in hope than expectation.

"Of course they will. I bet they'd get paid a decent amount of money for the information. Probably enough to set themselves up with a nice nursery."

She groaned and put her head in her hands. "This is a nightmare!"

"Chin up, Granger, you're increasing the entertainment value."