03 | E

Emmanuelle

After a while of laying restless in bed I fell asleep, but less than two hours later I woke up with Dom's foot in my face. Though, he was now laying with his feet pressed into my body, he was still peacefully sleeping. I grabbed my phone to check the time. It was still completely dark outside as well as in the room since there was no sunlight peeking through the curtains. I sighed; it was not even five Am as yet.

"Stop." I spoke to myself as I faced the ceiling, hoping that I would stop stressing about absolutely nothing. We had just been in Seattle for a few hours and so far I had no reason to be even slightly worried about something. I glanced over at Dom to check if he was still knocked out, then I slipped out of bed. I stood in front of him, staring at him for a while, contemplating if it was a good idea to leave him alone. But, then I figured that I would probably hear his crying if he became scared and if I would not hear it then surely Marissa or Dimitri would.

"Okay, just five minutes. Kitchen and back." I consoled myself. I wrapped one of the smaller blankets around my night gown, because I was too tired to change into something warmer. In the middle of walking down the stairs, my feet stopped moving. And as I looked down, my mind replayed the day I was brought back to this place after those eight years. I remembered being in the living room when the front door opened. I remembered seeing him laugh and be so full of life. With each step I took down the stairs, it felt like I was moving closer to him even though he was not there. My relationship with Marco was rocky and there were a million things that we both could have done better. But, even after everything I could not hate him, not when our relationship gave me the one thing that brought purpose into my life.

"Can't sleep?" Dimitri's voice brought me back to earth. I turned around to see him standing at the top of the stairs about to start walking down, shirtless and only wearing blue pajama pants that hung quite low on his waist.

"Jet lagged. Why are you up?" I answered as I fought myself to keep the eye contact and avoid looking at any other part of his body.

"I don't really know." he exhaled. He had pretty much completely recovered from the accident. He was no longer walking with a cane and by his toned physique I could tell that he had regained his strength. Yet, the many scars that covered his chest and the smaller ones on his face did not fade away. "How about some tea? Maybe we can catch up." He stopped at two steps above the one I was standing on.

"Not really in the mood for that."

"That's okay. What are you in the mood for?" Dimitri took another step down, making his face hover above mine as only a thin layer of air kept our faces from touching.

"We can start with personal space." I whispered to him whilst his eyes focused on the movement of my lips. "And then I'll have coffee instead. Black." I continued.

"Hhhm." He wet his lips which molded into a small, dangerous smile. "Lead the way. You know where the kitchen is. Or should I jog your memory?"

"How—" I had not finished speaking when he impulsively threw me over his shoulder and continued walking down the stairs. I began hitting his lower back with my fists, screaming for him to put me down but the bastard simply ignored me.

"We don't want the whole house to wake up now, do we? We're almost there." He chuckled.

"Mattia!" I wiggled until he put me down. "Never do that again! Do you understand."

I was dead serious, yet Dimitri found amusement in my comments. He walked around the kitchen island and took two cups out of the cabinet, "Have a seat, grumpy. Or are you planning to take your coffee in a standing ovation?" He smirked then faced the espresso machine to turn it on. I silently sat down and could not help but roll my eyes at him. "Did you roll your eyes at me?" He leaned back against the counter and looked at me with his hands folded in front of his chest, automatically flexing his arms.