05 | M

Mattia

I was about to head downstairs when the laughter of a child pulled me into the upstairs living room. There, I found Dom watching cartoons whilst Nuelle sat next to him with her right leg crossed on top of the other and her left thumb tucked between her teeth as she scrolled through her phone with the other hand.

She did not notice me right away since whatever she was looking at on her screen had demanded her full attention just like she demanded mine. I stood there with my hands in my pockets, taking in her every detail. "Ready?"

"Marissa isn't here to look after Dom. So, no."

"She must've stayed at her apartment last night. She'll be here."

"Will I be off the hook if she doesn't show up?"

The corners of my lips curled up into a small smile. "She'll show up. I'll be downstairs waiting for you." Whilst I jogged down the stairs I called my sister, about ready to ask her where she was when she ran through the front door.

"I'm here. I fell asleep on the couch last night."

"Wouldn't have even mind if you didn't show up." Nuelle replied from the balcony that overlooks the stairs.

Marissa turned speechless for a moment, her eyes slowly moved to find mine. "Did I miss something?" She whispered.

I exhaled deeply, restraining myself from replying on what Emmanuelle had said. "Are you ready to go now?" I asked her instead. As she took her time to walk down with Dom I turned to Marissa. "Where are you planning on taking him?"

"She doesn't seem okay with this." She shook her head. "I'm not sure if I-"

"Take him to the mall, find something that a four year old would like. We should be back around lunch time. Emillio will accompa-"

"Are you ready?" Nuelle stood in front of us, presenting me with a look that showed how unhappy she was with me at the moment.

"Of course."

"Okay, Dom. Are you ready to have some fun?" Marissa leaned forward to reach the boy's height, speaking in a higher pitched voice that was only reserved for children. He first looked up at his mom after which he faced Marissa again, this time smiling shyly.

"Go on." Nuelle ruffled his hair.

"I'm going to take good care of him. I promise."

"I know. You better."

I could sense that she was somewhat worried about leaving Dom in the hands of my sister, but yet she tried not to show this emotion to her. Once they left Nuelle walked off into the direction of the car I drove to the airport to pick them up.

"We're not taking that one today."

"Which one are we taking then?"

I beckoned her towards me by curling my index finger at her. She sighed out of annoyance as she followed me into the garage, saying something under her breath that I could not clearly make out.

"How do you even find the time to drive all of these?"

"I don't." I reached for an all-black helmet and handed it to her. "Here."

Her eyes moved back and forth between my face and the helmet. "No."

"It'll be fun."

"I'd rather be safe, but don't let me stop you from having fun. You can go on your own."

"Fine. Which one do you consider the safest?"

Her eyes scanned the different vehicles that filled the garage. "That grey one."