09 | M + E

Mattia

It was seven-thirty in the morning, and I was already fully dressed in work clothes, sitting at my desk, staring at the clouds through the windows of my office. I did not bother turning on the lights, because I wanted to experience my sorrow to the fullest.

I wanted to rest in my anger, my pain— for once I was okay with feeling vulnerable and like I was drowning in self pity. However, only until the building would be crowded with my employees. Then, I would be done and go about my day like I do every damn day.

I did not know what time Emmanuelle and Dom would be leaving. I did not bother to ask either. I did not want to be there to see her go which is why I hid away at the office.

A few minutes passed nine my door opened and heels clicked my way. Celeste was walking fast, probably wondering why I was not turning around. I was hoping that she would think that I was not in as yet due to the darkness of the room and the chair facing away from the desk.

From the corner of my eyes I saw her appear, a smile plastered on her face and her eyes as bright as the day. "Good morning."

"I didn't hear you knock." I said without moving as much as an inch.

"I didn't know if you were already here. In your e-mail you didn't mention what time you'd be here."

"For good reason. That's why you knock when you enter my office" I turned halfway around to face her. I was going to say something else right away, however seeing what the hell she had on hushed me. "I'm certain you've received a copy of our dress code."

"You said you like—"

My balled fist slammed hard onto the desk. This shocked her. "What did I tell you yesterday?" I leaned onto the desk, trying my hardest not to throw one of the thick, heavy books against her head to reach her stubborn mind. "What. Did. I. Tell you?" I repeated after receiving no verbal response.

Her eyes wandered to the side and then to the ground, she was looking everywhere except at me. "You have thirty minutes to go home and change into appropriate work clothing. And please," I held up my hand to her. "Stop trying so fucking hard, because it is not working. Don't humiliate yourself. I assume you're better than that." I took my coat from my chair and walked out of the office.

I was in the elevator when I called Christoph to ask him if Nuelle had already left. He had just dropped them off at the airport and was on his way to pick up Lorna to drive her to the hospital.

Immediately after our call ended Marissa rang up my phone, going off about why I was not home when Nuelle and Dom were leaving. It was not ten in the morning as yet and I was already drained off the energy to deal with these people around me. I longed for peace, the same kind I felt in my office before Celeste ruined it.

When I reached the parking lot I received a message from Emillio which read that he had reached his destination and that everything was going well. Only after reading this did it cross my mind that I had not looked at the memory-stick yet.

I quickly replied, telling him to keep me posted as I went into my car. I locked all the doors and opened the file on the memory-stick on my laptop. As soon as I clicked on the document my heart began to race.

Whatever information it contained could potentially be the key to getting me out of the bad deal that I unwillingly became a part of. I must have read the document twice, trying my hardest to understand every possible way it could be interpreted.

Emillio was right, Tobias was becoming less talkative. I could tell by the little information he provided us with. He was not one to keep stuff to himself, if anything he always felt the need to let others know that he was well informed.