17 | M + E

Mattia

The silence was loud and awkward. The soft shut that came from the doors when Nuelle walked out, was the start of it. I was quietly and observantly absorbing the silence, listening to the clock ticking like a damn bomb. Still, the seconds were all but unbearable for me.

My heart was at peace, much like the feeling I got whenever I managed to close a multi-million-dollar deal. I felt embarrassed for the man, however, I struggled to hide my relief and joy of knowing that I did not have a reason to question Nuelle's faithfulness.

"She's a little firecracker, isn't she?" he picked up one of his expensive pens, passing it from one finger to another. His tone was serious, and his eyes never left the hard wood in front of him, making it seem as if he was just uttering a realization to himself.

"But, of course, you don't have trouble keeping that in line, do you." He wore a smile that fired a million thoughts through my mind. I frowned as if my body was programmed to automatically respond this way.

Verbally, I did not respond.

"I can sense it." His eyes locked with mine, "Besides, I've— I've heard a lot about you." His pointer finger directed to me as he stood up from his chair, walking half-way around his desk.

"I'm sure you did."

"Great things too. Some, extraordinary. Even for me." His voice lowered in volume.

"Is that so." A feeling of suspicion that I could not quite understand, brew within me.

"Especially, when it comes to your business." He clapped his hands, giving me a standing ovation. "I've been told that you hold an important key."

My interest was piqued, "I'm afraid I've been given more credit than I deserve."

"No, no, no," the smile appeared again, "You know he told me that you might react this way; secretive and cold, even when receiving compliments."

"He?"

"They're closed today. Somewhere else I should order from?" Nuelle barged in, interrupting the highlight of our conversation. As much as I loved to see her tell him off, this was not the right time for her bratty, careless behavior.

"Mr. Mulaney, anything for you?" Kline asked, intentionally shifting the focus to me; knowing damn well where our conversation had been left off. It made me want to explode.

I shook my head whilst my eyes were still on him. Impatiently, I waited for Nuelle to leave us again.

"I'm good. Thank you, Nuelle." He added.

"Your eleven o'clock appointment is early and waiting in the lobby downstairs."

"Right," He glanced at his watch, "Tell Elaine I'll be with her in just a few. Mr. Mulaney and I were just coming to an end of our delightful conversation." He flashed the same smile— the one I was getting very tired of seeing.

Nuelle disappeared again, not seeming to care about what Kline had to say. I waited on an answer; I waited on Kline to tell me a name, though I already knew who he was talking about. And still, his confirmation was of great importance to me.

"Sadly, we'll have to continue this conversation another time."

"Not until you answer my question."

He walked around his desk and took his time to sit in his chair again, "Your brother sends his regards."

"My brother is six feet under."

"According to my knowledge, you don't just have one brother, do you Mr. Mulaney?"