Prologue:

Phineas Taylor Barnum, a young boy in his early teens, was standing outside of the fabric store, waiting on his father. He stared at the top hat and the red suit on the mannequin display, imagining a better life for himself. He imagined doing something so grand that he would have crowds of people cheering for him.

"Let's go." 

However, his daydreaming was cut off when his father walked out with the fabric he had purchased. "Phineas, hurry up. We're gonna miss the train." His father said, dragging him beside him. 

The two of them headed to the Hallett house. "Stand up straight. Wipe that muck off." Phineas's father, Philo, instructed, wiping off the dirt from his son's shirt. This was an important client for them.

Philo was tailoring a suit for Mr. Benjamin Wright Hallet. Phineas waited by his father's side, waiting to help him. Phineas kept catching himself, glancing to the table at Mr. Hallet's daughter, Charity. She was having her etiquette lessons at the dining table. 

"Pinkie out... Arm extended, elbow out." The teacher said, instructing the proper way to drink tea. "Sip, never slurp." The teacher continued to demonstrate for Charity while Phineas moved to make a teacup with the objects in his father's tailoring kit. 

Charity looked over, trying not to smile at Phineas. He, mockingly, did as Charity's teacher was doing until he pretended to slurp up a piece of cream fabric. Charity, who had just taken a sip of her tea, spit out the tea, laughing. Both of the kids laughed at the interaction. But the adults were not pleased.

"Charity, come here." Mr. Hallet demanded while the teacher wiped up the tea. Charity stopped laughing when she walked over to her father, Philo, and Phineas. "Your dress. Is this how we've taught you to behave?" Mr. Hallet asked his only daughter. 

"It's my fault, sir..." Phineas spoke up before Charity could answer her father. "I made her laugh." He confessed to his father's dismay.

"Well, thank you for your honesty." Mr. Hallet said, stepping forward towards Phineas. Charity jumped in shock when Mr. Hallet smacked Phineas across the face. "Stay away from my daughter." Mr. Hallet warned before taking Charity's arm and heading away from the Barnums. 

Phineas teared up, looking at his father, who had just lost his job with the Hallets. His father did not say anything, causing Phineas to retreat to the beach.

The beach was quiet and beautiful. He stayed silent, while Charity walked out, sitting beside him. "How'd you get out?" Phineas asked her, turning when he heard her sit down. 

"The window." Charity sighed, looking at the weeds that were blowing in the wind. "Father is sending me to finishing school..." Charity sighed, breaking the small moment of silence. "I do not know what my future will be." Charity sighed, looking at her fingers that were fiddling with the hem of her baby blue dress.

"I do." Phineas smiled softly, making her look up at him.

"I close my eyes, and I can see. A world that's waiting up for me. That I call my own." Phineas began to sing when he stood up, offering his hand to Charity. 

Charity took his hand when Phineas led them through an open woods area, a few minutes from Charity's parents' home. 

"Through the dark, through the door. Through where no one's been before. But it feels like home." 

~565 words~