Chapter 3: So it begins

Three weeks went by and Raven became more comfortable on being outside again. Her friends started inviting her to spend a night out in the city, but she wasn't ready for it yet.

Raven realized she was a lot closer than before, but still... Thion, also known as her father, the male who wanted to hurt her more than anything was still out there, somewhere. Not in Velaris, but in Prythian and that still keeps her awake at night sometimes.

The nightmares weren't that frequent anymore. After training in the morning and working for the rest of the day, she falls asleep as soons as she lays down in her small bed.

Her body was starting to get stronger and that made Raven happy. She didn't feel as delicate as before and even if she has a big and long work to do, it's enough to make her smile to herself whenever she does an exercise easily.

When Raven arrived at the sparring ring that morning, Feyre was the first one she saw. The High Lady, and also her dear friend, said she was joining the valkyries every morning for now on.

As soon as the other arrived, everybody started. Raven was always trying to ignore the desire of looking in the Shadowsinger's way all the time and it was harder than she ever could imagine.

He was her tutor, along with the priestesses that were at a beginner stage as well. That made the not looking job a lot more difficult. His shadows don't show up very often, Raven thinks that he controls them so the females couldn't be scared.

For her, that was a pity. She likes when his shadows show up. Sometimes one of them even goes where she is and wraps itself around her ankles or pet her hands when nobody was looking... Raven saw when Azriel caught it happening once and his cheeks got a little red.

It was adorable, she thought to herself. That scene repeated in her mind for days after that.

Sweat and out of breath, they finished the day's session and stood there just enjoying the feeling after a workout. Feyre approached Raven with two cups of water in her hands, handing one to her friend.

After the third refill, Feyre looked at Raven with sparkles in her eyes.

"So... that last time we spoke at the library, you promised me a dinner in my house..."

Raven widened her eyes. It was true, she promised Feyre and Rhysand that a lot... almost every time they visited her. They always understood that she wasn't ready yet, but now the look on the High Lady's face was different.

"Yeah... I did", she didn't know what to answer.

Dinner at their place wasn't a night out in the city and she was sure it wouldn't be as crowded. However, she didn't have any clothes besides the ones she got from the priestesses for the library work...

She didn't have any problem with the vest they use, but it would be inappropriate. Raven knew that...

"Would you come tonight? We could come get you here and you'd be back before you notice, I promise!"

That hopeful smile on Feyre's face was too much for Raven. She decided it didn't matter what she wore. Her friend, who helped to save her, would be happy with her presence.

"Okay, but only if Nyx's there too"

"He wouldn't miss it for the world!!", replied Feyre, almost jumping with happiness."Rhys' gonna be so excited!"

__________________

Something Raven always did was get out of her way to make someone she loves happy and this time wasn't different. While she put the books on the shelves, she kept thinking how weird it was gonna be when she arrived there wearing the priestesses vests.

Without a warning, Nesta appeared. With bags in her hands and smiling like a devil.

"These are for you", was her only answer when Raven looked suspiciously at the bags Nesta put on her book cart.

"And do I wanna know what it is?"

"I'm very glad you asked, my friend!", Nesta laughed at Raven's funny face and opened one bag. "I heard Feyre's invitation, Cas and I were invited too. I started to imagine our night, because I've never seen you somewhere besides here or the sparring ring..."

Nesta took a simple white shirt in her hands and showed it to Raven's.

"Oh no, Nesta", Raven's head was going from one side to the other repeatedly in disbelief.

"Oh yes, Raven! I figured your concerned expression earlier was about what to wear, since you came to the training everyday wearing the vests all the priestesses wear, even if you aren't one of them for real... So, here I am."

Raven was in shock. She didn't know what to say, nobody had ever paid that much attention to her before... The thought of someone knowing her enough to just understand what she was needing...

"I can't accept it, Nesta. I don't-", Nesta rolled her eyes.

"Not accepting it it's not an option, you know. It's a gift from me and Cassian", her eyes wetted and she looked at Raven with pride in her face. "For your first day out. A gift to celebrate your freedom."

Raven didn't care to hide the tears falling down her eyes when she pulled Nesta into a tight hug. Maybe she was lucky after all...