32

Word Count: 1838

~Vaela

With my palm pressed against my sweaty forehead, I stride out into the alleyway, pacing back and forth.

"I can't believe you did that," I exclaim, glancing back at Hale who saunters casually from the restaurant, smirking smugly.

He's essentially confirmed I will never see Alexander again.

I back away as Hale advances on me, the heat in his gaze telling me everything I need to know. The build up of my orgasm has diminished into nothingness, but the dampness between my legs suggests another word from Hale could remedy that.

His gaze flashes, searing hot. "I can't believe you didn't find your release when I told you to."

My breath hitches, but I refuse to let him see how much his words affect me. I came on this date to stop thinking about Hale, and now I'm ready for him again.

"We were in a nice establishment," I comment breathily.

In reality, I got up because there was no way I was going to go through with that, right in front of Alexander.

Hale holds his hand out to me. "Come on, I'm taking you home."

The moment we returned to the house, I excused myself to the bathroom, to calm down. I have to be careful about what happens next, knowing a few words could send Hale and I hurtling into bed together.

Stalking from the bathroom, I watch Hale shrug off his jacket, turning back to look at me.

"I think we should go to sleep," I murmur.

He dips his head, seeming to understand what I'm referring to. "Why don't you come sleep in my bed tonight."

"Hale," I warn. "You and I both know that isn't a good idea."

He holds his hands up defensively. "I won't touch, I promise. I just want to be near you."

Maybe it's because he says it so earnestly, or because the thought of having someone to sleep next to sounds so appealing, that I agree. "Okay. But no touching."

Surprisingly, Hale keeps his word and doesn't touch me the entire night, although by morning, his arm is banded around my waist, my back pressed against his chest to the point I have to be careful when prying myself away from him.

Yawning, I wander into the kitchen, stretching under the watery sunlight streaming through the window.

Today I need to confront Hale. It has to happen.

The near silent sound of Hale's bare feet padding across the floor near me makes me turn. His pants are loose, slung around his hips. Yet another taunt to me.

"I can't believe we slept together last night," I mumble, leaning back against the kitchen counter.

He quirks his brow. "In what sense?"

"We slept in the same bed."

"I wanted to keep an eye on you." He brushes past me, opening one of the top cupboards. I watch him quietly as he fills his glass with water, taking a long drink from it.

I run my fingers along my lower lip. "This has to stop. This time, it stops."

"What does?" He wipes a few droplets of water from his chin. He's acting as though he doesn't know what I'm talking about, his blank expression never wavering.

"The flirting, the seduction, the touching me under dinner tables and pressing me against walls," I insist.

He breathes out slowly. "But you enjoy it."