36

Word Count: 2199

*Mature Content Warning! - Read At Your Own Discretion*

~Vaela

Keo finally lets go of me, but I don't stumble too far.

"I think it's obvious what I'm here for," he says, looking around the cave, clearly dissatisfied with whatever he finds lacking.

Hale shakes his head. "So you're serving him?"

"I serve no one, but myself. But where he happens to succeed, as do I." Keo spreads his arms out, smirking. I can imagine how such a smile has disarmed many in the past.

But I see the cruel intentions behind it.

"Hale...What's happening?" I question.

Keo turns his attention to me. "I'm here to warn you, Vaela."

"About what?"

"Your existence is poisoning the very fabric of this fragile realm. And where this realm faces its demise, other's do also," he explains, a tight smile upon his face.

He's clearly suggesting that one of these other realms he speaks of is where he originates from. I suppose that explains why he is so ardently pursuing me.

"Trust me, I don't want to be this way," I grit out.

Keo doesn't look convinced. "Hale's spell is unnatural, therefore, you are unnatural. If you continue to exist, it allows other, more unnatural things to begin existing in this realm, in other realms. It's that which cannot be allowed."

"If you so much as touch her, I'll kill you, and him," Hale warns. He appears outwardly calm, although I know he won't hesitate to act upon his words.

"Who is him?" I demand.

"Relm. He's a nightmare to deal with," Hale mutters. I frown. That Gaze Reader brought up the name Relm before, and Hale looked unnerved by just by the mention of it.

"He will be, once he returns from his business elsewhere. Then, he will want to see you, Vaela, and kill you."

The way Keo says it, like it's a fact to be revered is disturbing. Death and murder is clearly not a concept he is unfamilar with.

"No...he can't." The thought of a man I've never even met before hunting me down to kill me is a terrifying thought.

Hale steps forward, sensing my panic. "We are going to remedy this, without having to end Vaela's life."

Keo rolls his eyes, bored.

"You have twelve days before he returns. He will have no mercy on you then," he mutters, stepping back before vanishing.

I stare at the spot where he once stood, knowing only one thing for certain.

"I'm going to die," I breathe.

My life is being toyed with by a man who couldn't care less that I died, only having come here so he doesn't have to bother with me in the future. That is the furthest thing from comforting.

"You're not going to die, we are going to fix this, okay?" Hale assures me, although I see the doubt written all across his face.

"How? What if that Gaze Reader is wrong?"

"I don't think he is. He saw that Relm was returning, so I believe he is right about this," Hale says. He is right, the Gaze Reader did mention his name before there was even mention he was back in this realm.

This can't be a coincidence.

"Who is Relm?"

Hale sighs, delving into some deep memory regarding him. "Some ancient immortal. He hasn't been around for many centuries, so something serious must be happening for him to be so interested in you."