38

Word Count: 1493

~Vaela

My entire existence feels off its axis as I slowly come to consciousness.

I feel different. Better.

Sitting up, I look down at my skin, knowing I'm immortal again. A smile slowly stretches across my face. It worked, or at least, I'm alive.

I'm in a small, unfamiliar room. The walls are stained a dark crimson, looking nothing like how I remember when I first came into Death's realm.

This doesn't feel right, but at least I'm Immortal.

Standing from the bed, I shake the tension from my shoulders. I need to establish my surroundings, and then wait for a sign from Hale. I just hope this sign comes quickly.

The home I've woken in is stunning and decadent, with rich wood furniture and dark carpet. However this place belongs to is obviously powerful and wealthy, which isn't a good sign.

I find myself in a small living room. There are no windows anywhere, and in this room, only a small candle from the corner of the room lights the area.

I draw in a breath, noting a body laying across the couch.

With cautious steps, I approach the person, trying to make out their features. Dark hair, smooth skin...I gap.

Death.

I've seen her a few times, from living in her realm, but never in person. And now she is here, lying asleep across a couch, no noise rising from her unconscious form.

"Death?" I ask tentatively.

She doesn't so much as flinch.

Frowning, I step closer, grabbing her bare shoulder, shaking her gently. She's cold to the couch, and doesn't wake, even as I shake her a little harder, calling out her name.

"You're not dead, are you?" I lean down, feeling her breath against my ear, but it's light. She may not be dead, but she isn't going to be waking up any time soon.

It takes me over an hour to search the rest of the manor. There are no windows, and no way for me to contact anyone.

The place is entirely empty, and I'm alone.

Eventually I find a front door. I stare at it for a long moment, expecting it to emerge into the bustling city that I'm familiar with in this realm, however, once I finally do open it, it reveals a far more horrifying site.

A tundra that stretches long and far into nothingness.

"This is not what I remember," I mumble.

An icy wind chills my skin until I slam the door closed. For some reason, I ended up here, and there is nowhere for me to go, so I must remain put until Death wakes.

Or until Hale comes to save me.

So I wait. For days.

I'm not sure how many pass.

Death doesn't wake once. Every day I pass through that living room, waiting for her to make any movement, but she doesn't. So all I can do is continue to search the home and sleep.

Today, however, I know what needs to be done.

I can't wait any longer. If I stay here, I'm not going to have any hope, so, I take a thick coat from Death's closet, and open the front door again.

A foggy mist skates over the tundra. The cold is bitter, but now that I'm immortal again, I should be able to handle it.

Distantly, a light suddenly glimmers.