42

Word Count: 1877

*Mature Content Warning!! Read at Your Own Discretion!!*

~Vaela

"What are you reading?"

I look up, mildly irritated that I'm being interrupted, just when my book was getting to the good part.

"A book," I respond, staring up at my mate, who seems to be enjoying looming over me with a very particular look on his face.

I've only been home for two days, and finally I'm feeling better after having a good portion of my blood drained out of me. All my time I've spent reading this book, since it's not like I have anything else to do.

Hale rounds my chair, looking over my shoulder. "I was going to ask what kind of book, but I think I get the idea."

Frowning, I slam the book shut, dumping it on my lap. There goes that.

"I wasn't making fun of you," he assures me, leaning down to kiss me on the cheek, which I don't manage to dodge away from in time.

"Believe it or not, it's quite interesting," I mumble, feeling my cheeks flush.

I'm quite sure I know why I picked up this book today. Hale has been dutiful as ever while I've recovered from my extreme blood loss, and through that, he hasn't touched me.

I think at this point, I'm going insane.

"Don't you think it's time for bed?" Hale questions, walking around the couch.

"I guess," I grumble. "Are you going to let me sleep in your bed again tonight?"

That's been the most difficult part. Sleeping right next to him, and not being able to do anything about it.

That is going to change tonight.

"Of course. I wouldn't allow anything else," he says, holding his hand out to me.

Grinning, I follow him down the hallway, clutching his hand tightly. I stare at his broad shoulders, at how oblivious he is to the devious plans I'm plotting in the depths of my brain.

"I need a bath," I say, closing the bedroom door behind us.

I really like Hale's room. He has a large, expansive bed that I could spend all day in, and something about the atmosphere makes it impossible to sleep next to him without wanting to make a move every second.

"Go ahead." Hale motions to the ensuite, which I slip into without another word.

Drawing the bath, I slip my clothes off. I can hear Hale behind the door, readying himself for bed. My entire body buzzes with excitement, but I force myself into the bath regardless.

This needs to be perfect.

So, I take my time washing myself, trying to reign in my own eagerness. There is a chance that Hale will be too concerned about my health that he won't want to do anything, so I need to prove that I'm perfectly fine and ready for anything he wants to do to me.

Once I'm fully dried, I look down at my clothes in a pile on the floor.

My heart is thumping against my ribs. I'm not sure why I'm so nervous, it's not as if we haven't done anything together before, but something about having the full attention of an Immortal Sin is kind of terrifying.

Usually I would wrap my towel around my body and lean out the door, calling for Hale to throw me a sleep shirt.

Tonight however, I have other plans.

Opening the door, I peek out. Hale is looking down at his book, wearing loose pants and now shirt.

Ignoring my drying mouth, I push the door open, leaning against the doorframe, utterly naked.