21

"y/n, I haven't seen you in so long!" Rowley shot up from his chair and approached you for a hug.

you welcomed him in your arms and nodded in response, rodrick watching you quietly.

"you know her?" Greg crossed his arms.

"I used to babysit him for a while" you smiled softly.

"oh that's lovely... why did you stop?" Mrs heffley asked.

you didn't have an answer to that question. you always believed he didn't need a babysitter anymore, until you heard heather took your spot.

"uh... my dad didn't think you look reliable..." Rowley looked away, embarrassed.

"look?" rodrick spoke, surprised.

"her clothes" Rowley added.

"well sorry I don't dress like a nun. I thought you didn't need me anymore, but I guess you have heather" you admitted.

"oh, heather is so nice and pretty. she reads us books and lets us play video games!" his face lit up, grinning.

"and... I used to do all that. I even played with you" your smile dropped. how did the conversation turn to Heather now?

"even rodrick thinks she's pretty" Greg spoke.

you quickly grabbed your shoes and before he could finish his sentence, you were already out of the house.

"thank you for letting me stay over" you waved at Mr and Mrs heffley, forcing a polite smile.

you didn't realize when you crossed the road and slipped in your house, holding your shoes, daggers piercing through your heart.

jealousy? disappointment? maybe the fact that you didn't look "reliable" enough. Heather taking your place hurt, either way.

"y/n are you home? can you take out the trash?" your mum shouted from the kitchen.

your only answer was the loud thud the door made as you walked to the nearest trash can. you spotted rodrick from across the road, rushing to you.

"y/n, what the hell?" he spoke, stopping in front of you.

"what now? my parents aren't mad anymore, you don't have to te-" rodrick cut you off, hitting the back of your head.

"I don't like heather anymore and you know it. Rowley is fucking dumb and couldn't read the room. can you stop running away from everyone??" he spoke, rather strictly.

"why did he have to bring her up?? I'm clearly not good enough, but oh heather sure is" you spat in frustration.

"no. can you not overthink this?? the dude's dad is a psycho that judges everyone without knowing them" rodrick argued, towering over you.

"but what if he's right??" you looked up at rodrick, watching him let out a deep sigh.

"I trust you more than anyone. do you not get it?? he's just a prick" he spoke calmly.

you only nodded before your mum walked out of your house, seeing you with rodrick.

"y/n, come inside." she spoke.

you waved rodrick goodbye and shot him a quick smile before walking back in your house, leaving him flustered.

---

"who told you to stay the night there??" your mum spoke as you quietly sat on the couch.

"Mr heffley..." you lied, knowing you'd be grounded if you mentioned rodrick.

"and what about us hm?" she argued.

"mum. I texted dad and he said it's fine." you showed her your text messages.

she stayed quiet before you continued talking. "why are you like this? both of you." you got up and walked to your bedroom, only your door shutting breaking the silence.

"he didn't tell me anything and-" she tried to justify her attitude.

your mum called your name a few times but you couldn't hear her. you put on your favorite songs, the ones that made you instantly happy.

---

rodrick

u okay?

yeah I'm good
sorry

shut up
be out tomorrow at 7

sure
see you then

you put your phone down and laid on your bed, looking at the ceiling. you didn't ask rodrick where you'd go, or what to wear. you assumed it was a plain walk.

hours passed and you started getting impatient. you've listened to all the songs you like and even found some new ones.

"y/n eat!" Avi stormed in your room, holding a small box.

she rushed to you and opened it, the smell of warm pizza immediately hitting yor nose.

"thanks" you smiled and put the box on your nightstand.

avi climbed your bed and sat beside you, happier than ever. you grabbed a slice of pizza and took a bite, watching her giggle.

"what?" you nudged her head, making her fall to her side.

"I have a boyfriend" she giggled louder.

your head snapped at her direction, your eyes wide. "what?? what do you mean?" you put your pizza slice down.

"a boy kissed my cheek!" she beamed, her smile wider than ever.

"oh, is he cute?" you asked and watched your sister quickly nod.

you grabbed your phone to text rodrick, a smile on your face. your sister watched curiously as you tapped on your phone, slowly reading your previous texts out loud.

rodrick

your princess got a new prince

seriously?
the betrayal
at least I got a backup princess

shut up

you and your sister chuckled at the messages. you could almost imagine rodrick's smirk through the screen.

"y/n you have a boyfriend too!" she screeched, pointing at your last messages.

"no I don't. stop shouting" you spoke, Avi immediately covering her mouth with her hands.

"isn't it bedtime for you?" you pushed her around the bed, trying to get her to leave.

"no! mum!" she screamed and soon, your mum opened the door.

"y/n stop messing with her. eat and go to sleep for fuck's sake" your mum took Avi to her room to put her to sleep, leaving you dumbfounded.

you quickly ate the pizza and salad that was in the box, paired with a bottle of coke they left in the fridge for you. you changed clothes and laid on your bed, looking out the window.

1.27

your phone's bright screen lit up the room before you put it away, a light breeze letting itself in from the open window.