40

I gulp Champagne to buy some time

I gulp Champagne to buy some time. Stick with being famished...that's all I will give him. Why did I react that way?! I've heard the word marriage all my life, but once he says it, I turn to jelly? I can't do that again. I place down the fork and relax my body. "I forgot to eat."  

"And you felt lightheaded exactly when I said the word marriage?" He interrogates.

"Yeah."  

"I don't buy that. The word either upset or shocked you. Which is it?" 

"I'd like to skip."  

"No skipping, answer me." 

Oh, he's not a fool. Jace won't let this go. My lie isn't going to hold. I might as well be truthful. "The word shocked me."

"Why?"

"That wasn't what I expected to hear."

"What did you think I would say?"

"Not that...I thought you'd say long term." 

"Matrimony is long term." 

"It is...but we're still strangers."

"Do you want me to stop using the M-word?"  

"Yes." 

Jace eyes my plate. "Eat something." I dig the fork into a potato stuffed with gravy. "And please start having breakfast." 

"I don't know how to call the drone." 

"I'll give you access through your phone."

"Alright."

"You can have anything you want."

"You said we're alone, but who's cooking the food?"

"My drones."

"How can they cook, though?" I wave my hand to the plate of food. "This looks top chef."

"China began the trend of eliminating living cooks. With bots, your food is never overcooked or undercooked nor at risk of making you sick. Everything is made to perfection; there's no human error."

"Of course, China started it." I giggle. "I can't wait for food delivery and driving apps to utilize them."

"All labor work will evolve to that in a decade or two." Jace studies me. "I don't think I ever said sorry about the accident." 

"You don't need to say it. I know." I rush a smile. 

"Have you told your therapist what happened?" 

"Yes." 

"Could you tell me?"

I chew, wondering if I should. It's not that sensitive of a subject anymore. I can tell him. "It still seems like it happened to someone else."