Ch. Two

The doorknob clicked as Y/N walked into their apartment. They made their way to their room and threw themself onto their bed.

What was this feeling... Happiness?

Y/N didn't know they could be quite the extrovert; actually getting to talk to someone today made them feel a lot more accomplished. They couldn't wait to tell their dad about it. Their bed creaked as they sat up on it, unzipping their torn-up backpack to take out their broken iPod. They sighed as they looked at it. Now, this wasn't something they couldn't wait to tell their dad about.

Their dad had bought their iPod a couple of years ago towards the end of their freshman year because it was on sale. If it wasn't, he probably wouldn't have even thought about buying it for them in the first place. Y/N had always loved and cherished it as if they were married to it, and now it was useless. They weren't going to hold it against Jaime, it was partially their own fault for getting easily distracted while walking, but they couldn't help but feel devastated that its run time was now over. Music was a part of their life that meant so much to them. From a young age, they had always dreamed of being a part of some type of band.

And the entire reason why they even got distracted was because Gerard wanted to beat up some guy for doing who knows what. They wondered what the person could have possibly done to provoke such a reaction. It couldn't have been that serious, they saw how he reacted this morning when they merely flung a pencil towards him by accident.

They let out a sigh and picked up the pieces of the iPod, and finally, they threw it in the trash can in the corner of her bedroom. Y/N's head perked up as they heard the front door open and keys jiggle and clank onto the kitchen table. They made their way to the dining area and smiled at their dad.

"Oh hey, Y/N. How was school today?" he asked them, visibly tired.

"Um... I think I made a new friend-"

"Really!? I mean, sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt but that's amazing!" their dad excitedly said.

"Yeah, her name's Jaime. She's got this very sweet and timid mannerism, and she um..." Y/N trailed off, contemplating whether they should mention the whole iPod ordeal.

"...she once had a pet hamster get run over by a car."

"Oh."

There was a bit of an awkward silence following that. Maybe, the broken iPod wasn't as bad as a dead hamster.

"How does a hamster even end up on the road-"

"Anyways, um, how was work?" Y/N asked, trying to change the subject.

"Oh, it was fine for the most part. This lady kept calling to complain about her new computer not turning on. Turns out, she hadn't even plugged it into the outlet yet!"

Y/N let out a laugh.

"So, what do you feel like having for dinner?" their dad asked.

"I can skip it tonight. Get something for yourself instead," Y/N said.

"Oh come on, Y/N, I'm your father. I'm the one who should be making sure you get food in your stomach every night," he told her.

"Yeah, well, I already ate enough at school. You should save up the money for something better in the future than dinner for some high schooler on a Monday night," they protested.

"But you're not just 'some high schooler', you're my kid," their dad defended.

A moment of silence followed, and Y/N's dad sighed, "Suit yourself..."

"Please..." Y/N began.

"Hm?"

"Get something for yourself instead. You need it more than I do," they practically pleaded.