Ch. Five

"Hey!" Mikey caught up to Gerard.

"What's up?"

"Can you, uh... maybe tone down the whole 'tough guy' persona?" he asked. Gerard let out a small cackle but stopped almost immediately when he noticed Mikey wasn't joking.

"Oh come on, Mikes, what's the deal?" Gerard questioned.

"The deal is that you were being totally unfair towards Y/N back there during our 'outdoor lunch' behind the bleachers," he told him, and he let out a groan, "Look, I just met them today, and I don't want you already scaring them away."

"Oh, so you don't want me scaring away your new high school sweetheart?" Gerard teased.

"They're not- look, I'm serious," Mikey said, "They looked entirely uncomfortable with your whole 'what I say goes' speech."

"And so is, like, EVERYONE whenever I approach them in this damn school! What else is new?"

"I just... I want you to apologize to Y/N for it." Gerard looked at Mikey with complete and utter disbelief, "You can't be-"

"Yes, I'm serious," Mikey put his foot down.

"But you-"

"No buts, Gerard. I'm not gonna let you go on this one."

He let out an annoyed groan, "Oh my God~"

"Look... it doesn't have to be right now," Mikey began, "but just make sure you mean it when you do," he patted Gerard's shoulder. He sighed as he watched him head towards his next class.

~~~~~

Y/N looked up to see Gerard standing in front of the nurse's desk. They let out a little, oh so subtle gasp, and quickly looked back down at the ground. Gerard looked over to see Y/N sitting down in the office chairs, but he didn't turn his head. 

"What pole did you run into this time?" the nurse slightly sassed. As she handed him a cold wet rag, she instructed him to pat the darkened skin around his eye. Gerard sighed, and took a seat on one of the chairs near Y/N, leaving a space between them, keeping a little bit of distance.

Y/N wondered what exactly he did to end up with a black eye. Well, obviously he had to have gotten into some sort of brawl, but the curiosity couldn't help but get the best of them. They decided to take a quick glance over at Gerard. They watched him as he patted down the rag on his eye. Looking back down at the ground, they tried to make it not so obvious that they were eyeing him. They could hear him trying to muffle his groans from the pain. Pondering about what to say, or if they should even say anything, Y/N looked up again at him.

Gerard noticed Y/N's constant staring and made sure to make them know that he did, because when he took what was supposed to be a quick look, he locked eyes with them. Y/N slightly jumped in their seat and immediately looked away. They prayed he wouldn't say anything, but the complete opposite happened.

"Are gonna say something, or are you just gonna keep staring?" Gerard finally spoke, sounding a little annoyed as Y/N was internally panicking.

They clutched the edge of her chair with one hand, squeezed the ice pack against her face with the other, and kept her vision on the floor tiles in front of them. Wanting to say something and not stay in awkward silence, they finally opened her mouth and spoke.

"...Frank and I have gym together," they started.

"Is that how you got all fucked up? You ran into that dunce or something?" Gerard said, seeing as there was no one else there, he might as well make conversation.