11 | Not That Hard

Sleeping for six hours last night, two hours longer than planned, really messed up my schedule

Sleeping for six hours last night, two hours longer than planned, really messed up my schedule. But, it's a sex day. I'm always in a better mood on a sex day.

I spent my morning in class, my afternoon in the library again with Ryan. Now, I'm back to studying and trying not to watch the clock tick down to 8:30.

I scour through my textbook for the millionth time. There's a case I've been trying to remember, one that aligns perfectly with what Ryan was getting at this afternoon, but I can't seem to figure it out. I'm not one to forget, but I have a lot on my mind right now. It's 7:22.

"You're boring," Levi grumbles, bringing me out of my head and back into my apartment.

"You are too," I say back without looking his way.

Levi sits next to me on my sofa, resting his head on the back while he switches through Netflix previews. He has made himself comfortable under the throw blanket Jeremy bought to cover the red wine stain he left on the sofa's beige fabric. His hair is half down, the top in his typical bun, the rest falling onto the top of his shoulders in a cascade of shiny, black waves. I wish I had his stupid, perfect hair. Sometimes, I wish I had his stupid life, too. But not on a sex day.

"When are you moving in?" I ask him.

"With you?" he asks.

"Yeah."

"Never."

"Why?"

"Because you're boring."

I lift my gaze to give him a look, but the TV has his attention. I let my breath leave slowly between my lips. "If I'm so bad, why do you come here all the time?"

"Convenience." He has practice a few times a month at the Olympic center in Midtown. It's not that long of a drive from our family's house in Brookville, so I know it's an excuse to see me. It's Hargrove nature to hide our fondness for each other beneath a layer of criticism.

Levi always gives me shit, but I love it. I spent more to get this sectional so he could put his legs up when he came to visit, just like I picked a unit on the ground floor nearest the accessible entrance. Jeremy may live at Chet's every weekday, but he's far from admitting they're for real for real. I just like it when my brother is here. I like it less on a sex day, but it passes the time.

It's 7:24.

"You're really going to sit there and study the whole time I'm here," he hassles me again. "You can't do that after I leave?"

I can't because I'll be doing Heath after he leaves. "I'm always busy, you know that," I avoid his question. "Summermester sucks, but it's less I have to do later. I just want to graduate and pass the Bar as soon as possible so Mom and Dad will get off my back."

Levi laughs. "Yeah, because they definitely won't care that you're unmarried and childless."

I close my eyes with a sigh. "Thanks for that."