40 | Epilogue

Eighteen months later

 Eighteen months later . . .

Yet another engagement party.

Every summer, it's something. Practically everyone I know will be there, including the guys. I haven't seen most of them since Ryan's wedding, and it has definitely been for the best. But they will be there tonight, the same way we always have and possibly always will. Maybe distance makes the heart grow fonder.

I can't decide on a dress. It's as if I'm going through my usual neurotic checklist. Be unhappy with my hair? Check. Stress about dresses last minute? Check. Get pissed about having to go at all? Check-ity fucking check. Finally, I snatch one from the hanger and step into it.

"If you are putting on the green dress, we are going to fight," Levi yells from my bedroom.

I stare at the green silk in my hands. "I'm not!"

"Oh my god, Teagan. Put on the one I got you!"

I roll my eyes and hang the dress back up. The green one is beautiful and subtle. The one Levi got screams "Look at me!" at a 4,000-dollar volume. At least he listened to me and rented it for a somewhat tolerable price, but it's still ridiculous. I'm looking forward to the day when everyone I know is married off, so I no longer have to stress over the shape and color of overpriced cloth in my parents' house, but it doesn't seem like that will happen anytime soon.

The silk feels cold when it slides up my legs. Your girl loves a backless, floor-length gown with sleeves, but the color and little train are doing too much. It says "I'm excited to be here" when, really, I'm not.

I hold the front of the dress while I walk out. Levi nods with a sheepish smile—so proud of himself—while Rowan sits next to him on my bed, silent, but grinning. I roll my eyes.

"Don't start, Teags. You look amazing."

"Ugh."

"I said don't start!"

Levi hands me the crystal earrings and bracelet, and sets the shoes in front of me. As annoying as he is, I trust him.

"I didn't think Heath would ever do it," he says.

"Do what?"

"Get married. And so quick." It's as if Levi is trying to give me another reason not to go.

I let out a heavy sigh. "Yeah, well . . . He's always full of surprises. Fix this, please."

He finishes buckling the strap of the second shoe around my ankle. I take another look at myself in the mirror.

"You look amazing," he says.

"You don't think it's too much?"

"I know it's not too much. Now, let's go."