5. Peach and Knife

༄༄༄

Loretto Tayen.

I was sure everyone has left the office by now: I've seen those two old women who argued about my abilities, that young lady in a red robe, and other countless faces I've never seen until today and, hopefully, never will leave.

ButI definitely miscounted.

When the nerd in his bright blue robe walks out of the office, he doesn't appear that awkward now as he seems to be not in hurry anymore, and after him...I glance over his shoulder, looking for a teacher, yet there's none. But didn't the councilor say a teacher? And then it dawns on me. Oh. The realization slowly hits me, spiking in my chest with shock. The snarky book nerd is Loretto. The snarky book nerd is my teacher.

Is this a joke?!

Swallowing my confusion, I look at the councilor, but if there is any jest in this, it's well hidden past the councilor's set expression. And that's even worse--a joke, yet also the cruel, mocking reality. "Am I free to go now?" I ask. Please, say yes. Studying takes weeks, right? They can't expect me to start now, it's almost midnight. I need to go home!

With another falsely gracious smile, the councilor nods. "Of course, you're free. You always are. You're free to follow your new teacher and free to stay with us as long as it takes for you to master the craft of magic."

My heart sinks. I'm stuck here forever. Because that's how long it'll take for a powerless schemer like me to master the craft of magic. Shamans must know I've lied. What if it's their elaborate way to ruin me without confronting? Give me a chance--and watch me burn in my own lies.

Still, my stubborn hope refuses to die. I always assume the worst, but perhaps this time is different? Perhaps my ruse has been so blunt and bold that shamans truly bought it, that's why the councilor is now smiling at me. Or he likes the robes my family designs so much that he actually sympathized with me and decided to give me a chance.

Either way, there's no turning back.

"Well,I should leave you two." Clasping his hands, the councilor nods again and heads back into his office. "Good luck," he adds with a tone you usually offer a gift, not a death sentence, and the door clicks shut behind him.

Luck is the only thing that can save me. A shiver runs down my spine as Loretto's eyes and mine lock in the silence settled around us. I can almost physically feel a displeased maleficence piercing me to the bone through his dark stare. Blink, and it's gone. And now I'm not even sure my weary mind hasn't imagined it. Still, I can tell for sure that Loretto doesn't like the councilor's idea as well. He doesn't say anything, yet his judging gaze runs up and down my body as though calculating the price of a piece of meat he's been offered in a market square. Not a delicious-looking piece of meat. Then his lips slowly purse in a line.

As we stand face to face, Loretto's long hair doesn't hide his face from me, and I see it properly and close now. His features are comely indeed, with high cheekbones, a broad forehead, a well-proportioned nose and a delicate line of those pursed lips--almost a picture of standard shaman beauty from textbooks, a beauty that you either find harmoniously natural or cloyingly unnatural, that you either admire or loathe, but to that you hardly stay indifferent. But whatever Gen said, he is no girl. His features are a little too hard, too chiseled for a girl, just a tiny little...And however sweet his appearance might be, that maleficent air still radiating off him is something no girl has ever looked at me with. Nobody, really.

I know this is the worst way to get acquainted, especially on someone who isn't happy to meet you at all, but..."I need to use a toilet."

One of Loretto's eyebrows shoots up. "Nice to meet you, too."