Chapter 9

Shivan wanted to attend Kumaran's funeral but he could not do so as he had tied the knot recently.

The previous night's dream left him in a state of distress. He was confused.

He started talking to himself.

"What did the dream imply? Ufff! Leave it Shivan! It was just a dream. But why did I dream that. Who was that lady? Why was she cuddling a dead child? Why did she seem so familiar to me? I am a stupid man! She looked familiar but still I couldn't recognize her. Her eyes.....her eyes....her eyes..... She wanted to say lots of things to me. But why? How was I related to her? Why did she not speak to me? Why was she looking at me in such a way as if I was the one who had wronged her? Ok... Ok.... Ok..... I am losing all my peace now. Shivan Subramanian, it was just a dream. Relax! Just relax! "

He was rubbing his eyes.

Just then, Ratneshwari entered the room. He was not much pleased on seeing her. He did not show any expressions. He just looked at her. Ratneshwari noticed him. She said, "I can understand how it feels to lose a friend." Shivan sighed. He said, "It's really a great loss for me." Ratneshwari thought that there might have been something else which was bothering him. She put her hand over his shoulder and said, " Shiv, I can sense that it's not the passing away of your friend but something else which is bothering you. What is it ? I am your wife. You can share it with me. You can share anything with me. I promise that I won't tell anything to anyone. You can trust me. I won't break your trust." Shivan looked at her. She was really concerned about him. But he chose not to disclose anything to anyone. He said to her, "There is nothing, Ratna. I am fine." Ratneshwari was still not convinced. However, she decided not to question him further. She nodded her head and left the room.

That afternoon, Shivan went out for a walk. He was walking on the road which near the crop fields. There were no nearby houses. So he was all alone on the road, or perhaps he thought so. He was enjoying his own company.

He heard the sound of approaching footsteps. He turned around to see who it was. He saw a mad man. No one in his village knew who that man was and what had turned him insane. He used to speak strange things to random people on the streets. The mad man saw Shivan.

The barely dressed man ran to Shivan and held his hand. He said, "Enjoy now because you won't be able to do so after you get to know the reason behind everything." After saying this, he ran away. Shivan could not understand what he was talking about. But he decided not to pressurise his brain. He was already tensed because of his dream.

Shivan walked back to his home.