Chapter 18

(A few days later)

Shivan had to go to Pondicherry for some work. He took a leave from work. He was packing his clothes at night as he had to leave early next morning. Ratneshwari sat near him and said, "Do you need anything else?" Shivan said, "No, it's okay." After sometime, Ratneshwari said, "When will you return?" Shivan looked at her and said,"I stay there tomorrow. I will return the next day." Ratneshwari nodded her head.

Ratneshwari was lying on the bed. Shivan was sleeping beside her. The ventilator was open. The moonlight entered the room through it. The Moon God irradiated Shivan's handsome face. Ratneshwari was staring at his face. She was tempted to touch his face. She proceeded to touch his face with her hand but then, she stopped herself. She whispered to him,"I love you." After sometime, she fell asleep.

(Next morning)

Shivan woke up early. He took a bath and went to the kitchen. Ratneshwari has already cooked food for him. She saw him and said, "Go and sit at the dining table." Shivan nodded his head and sat at the dining table. Ratneshwari served him food. Shivan noticed that, Ratneshwari had served food in only one plate. He said to her, "Won't you eat?" Ratneshwari said,"I will eat later. Eat fast or else you will be late." Shivan started to eat the food. It was tasty. He had always liked the food cooked by her.

It was time for him to leave. Ratneshwari said to Shivan, "Take care of yourself." Shivan nodded his head and left. Ratneshwari went to the kitchen to eat something. After eating some food, she started cleaning the house.

After finishing her daily chores, she sat down to take some rest. She decided to go to the balcony and get some fresh air. When she was standing there, she saw the couple who lived in her neighbouring house. The man was kissing his wife on her forehead. His wife was pregnant. Ratneshwari said to herself, "They got married this year and now, his wife is pregnant. They look so good. They are perfect. Well, everyone is leading a happy life here. I am the only one who is unhappy. How can he do this? How can he think of some other woman when he has a wife? Do I lack something?" Looking at others gave her pain and nothing else. So, she left the balcony.

(That night)

Ratneshwari was all alone in the house. She was scared. She could sleep in a room alone but she was too scared to live alone in a house at night. She had thought that she would manage somehow. But, she started getting scared. She switched off the lights and went to her bedroom. She closed the door. She was still scared. She switched off the tubelight that was in her room and sat on the bed. She decided to sleep. After sometime, she felt asleep. Then, her nightmares started.

Ratneshwari  was walking on a deserted road. She looked here and there but could not see anyone. Suddenly, she saw many people running towards her. They were dressed in black. They had deformed faces. Ratneshwari started shouting. They had surrounded her. They stretched their hands to get hold of her. Ratneshwari started screaming as loud as she could.

Ratneshwari woke up. She was too scared. She started crying. Just then, she heard a sound. Then, she started hearing some footsteps. She could hear a sound. It was the sound of tapping on the door. It scared her even more. Suddenly, she heard the tapping on her bedroom door. She started crying. After sometime, the sound had stopped. Ratneshwari was relieved. But what she saw next, was even more horrifying. The door flung open. She saw a tall man dressed in black. He looked like one of the men she had seen in her dream. He had a butcher's knife in his hand. Ratneshwari closed her eyes and led out a loud scream. Then, she opened her eyes and looked around. There was no one and the door was closed. She was too scared. She was sobbing. She took her phone and called her brother.

"Hello, what happened? Why did you call at this time?"

"Anna, Anna..........."

"What happened? Why are you crying in this way? Stop crying and tell me what happened?"

"Anna,..... I....am..... I am sca.....red."

"Where is Shivan?"

"He is not at home. I am alone in the house. Anna, I am very scared."

"Don't worry. Wait! Let me video call you."

Krishna video called Ratneshwari. She was still crying.

"Anna...."

"Listen to me. Switch on the lights. I am here. Nothing will happen. Get up and switch on the lights."

Ratneshwari switched on the lights with the phone in her hand.

"Lie down on the bed and sleep. Don't disconnect the call. I am here. Don't worry. Nothing will happen. I am with you. Stop crying."

Ratneshwari kept the phone on the pillow which was near her.

"Anna, are you there?"

"Yes dear, I am here. Don't worry. Close you eyes and sleep."

Ratneshwari closed her eyes.

"Good. I am here. Nothing will happen to you. You can sleep now. Just sleep."

Ratneshwari woke up at 6 o'clock in the morning. She looked around and saw her phone. The video call was still going on. Krishna was drinking coffee. He said, "Good morning! Did you sleep well?" Ratneshwari nodded her head in approval. Krishna smiled at her and said, "Okay. Now go and freshen up. Bye!" He disconnected the call. Ratneshwari took a bath with cold water.

She went to the kitchen to eat something. She ate some biscuits and drank a cup of coffee. She was not able to forget whatever happened the previous night. She wanted to forget all that. So, she decided to watch TV for sometime. She switched on the TV. She thought, "Let me watch a movie." The movie 'Pasamalar' was airing on the TV. She liked that movie. So, she started watching it.