Chapter 19

It was afternoon. Ratneshwari was standing in the balcony.

Dark clouds came and covered the sun like a blanket. Wind was blowing. The wind kissed Ratneshwari's dusky skin. She was looking at the gate. Just then, her phone started ringing. It was Shivan's call. She received the call.

"Hello"

"Hello Ratna?"

"Yeah"

"Actually, I won't be able to return today. I wanted to do so but I have some work. So, I won't be able to return. I will return tomorrow."

"Okay. Did you have your food?"

"Yes, I had some snacks. I'll have lunch later. And you?"

"I had it."

"Are you okay?"

"Yes, I am fine."

"If there is any problem, you can call me."

"Okay"

"Ok then, I am disconnecting the call."

Ratneshwari looked outside. She went to the balcony again. She felt a drop of water on her forehead. After sometime, it started raining heavily. She stretched her hand to feel the water of the heaven on her hand.

Pondicherry was a beautiful place. Shivan was sitting inside his room in the hotel. It was raining there too. He started to look at the falling rain through the window. He felt as if the rain was calling him. It was a strange feeling. But why did he feel that way? He did not know. He opened the window. He held stretched his hand and felt the water which was washing his hand.

So, both of them were doing the same thing. Was it a coincidence? I do not know.

After sometime, Shivan heard a knock on his door. He opened it. It was the delivery boy who had brought food for him. He paid some money to the boy and took his packet of food. He opened it. It was lemon rice. When he was about to eat it, the day after his marriage flashed in his mind. 'Lemon rice' , that was the first thing which Ratneshwari had cooked for him. He ate some rice and then sighed. He said to himself, "She cooks better than this." He wanted to smile but a tear escaped his left eye.

He thought, "Wouldn't it have better if I had never met you, Sheetal? It would have been much better. I love you from the bottom of my heart. But I have lost my strength. I can not see tears in the eyes of that woman who loves me wholeheartedly and lives in the hope that I will love her someday. I cannot destroy the love that I have in my heart for you. But, I can't let her cry either. Why did I agree to marry her? Why did I do that?"

He ate a little more and then smirked. He said to his own self, "These demonesses, look what they has done to me! And why did you send them to me, God? If I leave Sheetal, she will say, 'Oh, so you want to leave me now. You made me wait for you all these years and now you want to leave me for that girl who came to your life just a few months ago. If you would never marry me, then why did you promise me?' And if I leave Ratna, she might just die. I have been noticing her for all these months. She doesn't eat properly, she doesn't sleep at night and sometimes, she doesn't even speak for days."

He finished his food. Then, he threw the packet in the dustbin and washed his hands. He looked outside. It was still raining. He punched the wall. The wall stood proudly but his hand was hurt. He looked at his fingers which were bleeding slightly. Then, he decided to ignore his wound and started looking outside again.

This is my boat.
Look how I am rowing!
I am sailing in the ocean,
But where am I going?
Alas! I have lost my oar.
The wind is just blowing,
And taking me to some unknown land.
Am I drowning?
Or I am going,
To some unknown land across the sea?
I don't know.

Shivan continued to look outside. He sighed and said, "Ratna, let's go away somewhere. Let's run away. I will hide you somewhere. I just want some peace. I don't want to face anyone. I want to take some rest. I want you near me so that you can take care of me."

The sun had set. It was getting darker with each passing minute.

Ratneshwari was sitting in the drawing room and watching TV. She heard the sound of the bell. She went to the door and opened it. It was her brother. Krishna smiled at her broadly and said, "Surpriseeeeeee!!!!!" Ratneshwari hugged him tightly. Krishna hugged her back.

He stepped inside the house. He said, "Did Shivan return?" Ratneshwari looked at him and said, "No Anna. He won't return today. He will return tomorrow. And thanks for coming. I would have been scared." Krishna hugged her and said, "How can your brother not come when you are in trouble?" They smiled at each other.

Ratneshwari took him to the guest room and asked him to freshen up. After freshening up, Krishna went to the kitchen where his sister was preparing food for them. She was cutting the vegetables. Krishna took another knife and started cutting the vegetables. Ratneshwari saw him and said, "It's okay Anna. I can do that myself." Krishna pulled her nose and said, "No matter how old you grow. You will always be my little sister. Let me help you." They cooked food together and then, had their dinner.

They sat inside Ratneshwari's room started talking. The room was filled with their laughter. After a long time, Krishna stopped getting replies from his sister. He looked at her and saw that she had fallen asleep. He smiled on seeing his sister's innocent face. He gently patted her head and left the room.