Chapter 4

Nico sighed wistfully, placing his handgun into the waistband of his pants
His suit jacket would cover the rest.

"Would you shut the fuck up? You sound like a puppy," Haze grumbled, doing the same with his own gun.

"Whatever," Nico huffed at him. "Henrietta is just so pretty."

Haze couldn't deny that. She was stunning, with beautiful blonde curls that framed her face. She had big green eyes, so bright and wonderous. And her freckles, just a splash across her nose, but they were so damn adorable.

"That's a puppy look," Nico teased. "You're thinking of her, aren't you?"

"I have been since I saw her in John's office that day," Haze said. "It had to have been fate that on the rare day we don't have any jobs to do, we end up in the same place as her."

"Fate indeed," Nico agreed. "I didn't want to work today."

"Neither did I," Haze said. They left their house, and Nico tossed a pair of car keys his way. "But this lead is great. We could knock out this whole operation we've been chasing for months."

"I can't wait," Nico mumbled. "I'm tired of this boring shit."

"Not everything we do has to become a fight," Haze retorted, weaving between the lanes to avoid daytime traffic smoothly and efficiently.

"Says you." Nico shook his head. Haze was a hardcore bastard with serious bloodlust, but he was also deadly calm and quiet. Nico tended to be hot headed and brash. "What's the play here?"

Haze glanced over. "The ship's coming in with the load we've been waiting on. If we catch them as they're unloading, we can take one of them with us. Make them squeal about their boss."

"I didn't think this shipment would be in for another month," Nico murmured.

"That new intel guy we hired has really been proving himself," Haze added.

It was quiet for a moment, something that was normal as they mentally prepared themselves to walk into an unknown dangerous situation.

"Can we go get some burgers after this?" Nico asked.

Haze pulled their car to a stop a few blocks from the dock along a quiet streetside. He gave Nico an annoyed look.

"Come on. I know you'll be dying for a milkshake," Nico pushed. "Maybe we could ask Henrietta to come with."

"Don't get too ahead of yourself," Haze said. He and Nico had tried finding a partner to share before. They both knew that's what they wanted, but it was hard to find someone who wanted the same, someone who didn't favor one over the other.

Plus, their work was dangerous. They didn't need to give their enemies some kind of leverage.

"It's not that," Nico said as they walked. He stuffed his hands in his pocket, enjoying the cool breeze and their shared moment of peace. "We left kind of abruptly, and I wouldn't want her to think it was because of something she did."

Haze nodded. He liked Nico's ability to empathize. It was something he definitely lacked. He offered Nico his phone.

"Text her," he encouraged, slowing their steps.

Nico grinned, turning away from Haze. He was happy that he agreed.

Sorry that we had to leave so soon earlier. Nico and I want to get burgers and ice cream after our meeting wraps up. Want to join us?

"Nice," Haze said, stuffing his phone back into his pants. "Clear your head now. Here." He held out his palm, revealing their earpieces so they could communicate.

"I'll go right. You go left," Nico said, dropping his voice to a hushed whisper as they approached the port.

They split up, using the large storage crates to hide their movement. Haze could hear the water gently lapping beneath his feet. It would seem he and Nico were just in time as the ship had just arrived, and was beginning to get unloaded.

"There are two guys," Nico said into his ear.

"Perfect," Haze mumbled. One for each of them. "Guy with the tattoos looks more in charge. The other guy looks like he works on the boat."

"Agreed. On my count."

They waited until the tatted man turned back to the ship before grabbing the much smaller man and dragging him behind some boxes out of the way. Nico tied him up efficiently, leaving him there.

"If it isn't that Macklin brothers," the tattooed man growled. "You should know better than to stick your fucking nose in where it doesn't belong. Don't you remember what happened last time?"

"We just want to talk," Nico said.

"About what?"

"You have information we need." Haze crossed his arms across his broad chest. He knew this piece of shit was stalling. He also knew this was probably only about a quarter of the shipment that was expected, and he and Nico needed the rest of the details soon.