Chapter 20

Henrietta tugged the hair tie from her hair, running her hand to soothe the headache she felt all over.

Nico entered the bedroom, giving her a lazy smile. "Are you ready for a study break, honey?"

Henrietta gave him a little smile of her own. "A few weeks ago I was on vacation, and now all of a sudden it's December and it's time for finals."

She stood from her desk, tucking into his chest. He wrapped his arms around her.

"And graduation," he added. "Because you've been kicking ass and staying on top of everything so well."

He kissed her forehead. "Come on. Haze and I just got done with our meeting. Let's go get some coffee or something."

She could definitely use the break.

Haze was still working at the kitchen table when Henrietta ventured out. He held open his arms and she got into his lap. She pecked his lips.

"How's the studying going, baby? You want to go get lunch or a snack?"

She hummed, reaching around to tangle her fingers in his hair.

"Nico said coffee. A muffin would be nice, too," she mumbled. "And then a little nap."

"I could go for a nap," Nico said, stacking some of his paperwork. He stretched.

"If you all nap with me, I will end up sleeping for several hours," she protested, giggling when Haze's fingers drummed along her ribs. She squirmed away.

"We'll wake up this time. We just get comfy," Haze pouted.

Henrietta laughed, kissing his unusually pouty lips. "Fine."

The car ride was pretty quiet. Henrietta had a lot on her mind. She had been doing school for almost six years now. She had been in the same student apartment for the majority of that time. She had been in the same city, visiting the same stores. The next step was finding a job, and that would probably mean relocating.

The coffee shop was bustling. Cheery overplayed Christmas music was playing.

"Can you order for me?" she asked Haze, handing him her card. He took it, which he normally didn't do. He laced his fingers with hers, giving her hand a supportive squeeze.

"Sure, baby. Chocolate chip or blueberry today?"

"Chocolate," she said.

"Want to go get a table?" Nico asked, already guiding her to a booth tucked into the side of the shop.

"Can you believe we met right here at that table?" Henrietta sighed wistfully. So much had changed. She was a completely different person now. But she would do everything all over again if that would lead her to Nico and Haze.

Nico gave her a little bump with his shoulder. "Is that where your pretty head has been at?"

Haze brought over the drinks and some muffins. He shed his coat, revealing his toned and fit body beneath.

He watched her curiously as she watched him.

"I guess I am just realizing that I am closing a huge chapter in my life," she admitted. "What if I could get a really good job, but it's all the way across the country?"

Nico shrugged, "Our work is remote. We'll just follow you."

"It wouldn't bother you?"

"Honestly, Henny, it would be good to have some change. I understand that is intimidating since you just got back on track, but this is what you've worked for. You should be excited for what's to come."

Haze's words were comforting and some of her turmoil settled. She smiled at him behind her drink.

She looked up at Nico. He smiled down at her.

She asked, "If you could pick anywhere to live, what type of place would be?"

"I like the city and the hustle and bustle."

Haze shook his head, "That cabin we rented was perfect for me."

"I'd get sick and tired of you," Nico snapped playfully and Henrietta laughed.

Haze rolled his eyes, changing the subject. "Have you started looking for a job?"

"A little. My lease isn't over until May, and I don't know that I could get out of it early."

"I can look over it, if you want me to. Sometimes there are ways to end it." Haze drank the last bit of his coffee, and Henrietta considered talking about something else that was on her mind.

"You don't need to be afraid to talk to us," Haze murmured. "We can read you better than anyone."

Nico gave her an encouraging nudge.

"I just- Are you saying that you would move in with me? I know you guys have your own place, and I'm sorry you've been stuck in my tiny apartment-" she rambled.

"Honey, we are pretty much moved in already," Nico gave a gentle laugh. His smile was warm and endearing, and she smiled back as always.

"We just wanted you to be in your safe place," Haze added. "We love your apartment because it's yours, and we love you. It could be a shack on the road and we wouldn't care. You are our home."

Henrietta's lip wobbled at the sentiment and she glanced down to blink away the tears that threatened to gather. She felt it. She felt love. She felt home, and that's all she had ever wanted.

"I love you both," Nico said, running his hand supportively along her back. "Our place isn't really furnished," he added with a laugh.

"Why?" she questioned, appreciating the change in conversation.

Haze shrugged. "We worked weird hours. I liked being with Nico, but I didn't like our place. It never felt right, so we didn't put much effort in it to begin with."

"Plus, we were always on the move," Nico said. "We use to have to go wherever the investigation would take us. We didn't think this place would be any different." He moved his hand to her shoulder, wrapping her in a hug and giving her a squeeze.

"I'm glad it was," she whispered, glancing up at him. He agreed, leaning down to give her a gentle kiss.