Chapter 5

Henrietta pulled the keys from her car's ignition. She didn't want to make a mistake. She didn't want to be lead right into the fire to be burned. What would Haze or Nico want with her?

She was curious. And she wasn't going to cheat herself out of an opportunity to get to know them. She wanted to take the plunge.

She could see them through the windows of the diner they had invited her to. They were in suits, completely different from this morning when they were in casual clothing. Henrietta felt even more out of place. She considered turning around, but Nico glanced up and waved.

His smile was dimmer then when she had met him this morning. They both looked exhausted.

"Hi," she greeted.

"Hey," Nico said back. "We're so glad you could make it."

"Thanks for inviting me." She offered a small smile, glancing at Haze who was staring at her, as he always did. "I'd never turn down a milkshake," she added a bit awkwardly.

"Neither would I," Haze finally spoke. "Especially cookies and cream."

Henrietta could feel her own smile brighten. Finally, she had something in common with Haze.

"That's my favorite too," she said.

Nico hummed as he read through the menu, "I want food first."

The waitress came to take their orders, and as Haze offered her their gathered menus, Henrietta caught a glimpse of his wrapped right hand. It definitely wasn't bandaged this morning.

She glanced at Nico, but his right hand was out of sight. She wanted to ask but it really wasn't any of her business.

"How was your meeting?" she asked instead.

"Pretty routine," Haze answered simply.

Nico pulled at the sugar packets, shuffling them around aimlessly. "How was your day, Henrietta?"

"It was nice. I had the day off."

"From classes? Or work?" Haze asked.

"Both. I usually work in the library before my class in the afternoon but it was a school holiday."

"I remember those. It was a nice break between the long stretch to the big holiday breaks," Nico said. "You work at the library?"

She nodded, "And at a clinic downtown."

Haze and Nico both seemed surprised, and genuinely interested in everything Henrietta had to say, just like this morning. Conversation was effortless. There was so much to learn about each other, and time was going by too quickly.

After their meal and milkshakes, they stepped out into the cool fall air. The sun was starting to disappear behind the horizon.

Nico and Haze walked her to her car.

"I'm just a little confused," she admitted, wringing her keychains around. "What do you want from me?"

"We just want to get to know you," Nico murmured. His voice was warm and soothing.

"Both of you?" she mumbled, peeking up at Haze.

"Yes," Haze said. "Does that scare you?"

She shook her head no. It was relieving honestly. She felt an equal connection forming with both of them.

She appreciated them being so honest with her. They had just met, and she didn't want to start off with any distrust.

"Do you want to meet up again?" That was Nico.

Henrietta nodded, "I'd like that."

Nico smiled gently. She wanted to reach for him. To feel his skin, hair anything. She couldn't believe they had only met this morning.

"I could tell it was you who texted me earlier," she added, directing her statement to Nico who grinned.

"Does that bother you?" Haze asked, his brow furrowing, darkening his stoic features.

"No," Henrietta said, unable to control an easy smile. Nico's energy was infectious. "I wouldn't mind hearing from both of you though."

She could tell in some way that that had pleased Haze.

She unlocked her car. Time had flown by with them, and she loved it. It felt good to have someone to hang out with, someone that had willingly invited her to join.

"Your wish is our command." Nico held open her car door for her.

"Drive safe," Haze said. "We'll see you later."

The drive home for Henrietta was peaceful. She felt a bit giddy, and her cheeks hurt from smiling. She liked them, but she was determined not to get too ahead of herself. She wanted to take her time getting to know them, and keep her focus on work and school.

It didn't even have to become anything. She had been a loner her whole life. Having two friends at one time was more than she could ever ask for.

Just as she was getting ready to fall asleep, she received a text. Two of them. One was cluttered with goofy emojis and the other was plain.

Good night. Sweet Dreams.