Chapter 6: The Rebirth

Later that night:

Connors was laying on the ground, he heard explosions ring on throughout the battlefield, his right arm mangled by shrapnel. In front of him was the bloodied body of Jenkins, barely breathing, clutching onto life. Connors began slowly crawling towards him whispering "I promised...I promised..."

Suddenly, he feels energy and strength strike his body like a lightning bolt. He quickly took advantage, got up onto his feet and snatched Jenkins body from the ground, he began to carry him in his arms, noticing how shockingly light his body felt. He looked down only to see huge, scaly green arms carrying Jenkins. He was the Lizard again, but right now he didn't care. All he cared about was keeping his promise. He ran as fast as he could away from the explosives and bombs, his inhuman stamina propelling him for hours until he finally made it to a safe place. Luckily, there's an infirmary and Connors is able to set Jenkins on a stretcher and let another doctor deal with the rest.

He hears one of the soldiers shout, "You saved that man's life!" Before he woke up from his dream. He examines his surroundings, finds he's still in his bedroom. He looks at his left hand, still Dr. Connors. He sees his wife is still asleep. With a sigh, he gets up and sneaks out of bed and goes downstairs.

He tried to drink a glass of water and just wait until he got tired again. However he found himself restless, so he just decided to kill time as he waited for himself to get tired and turned on the TV in the living room. He sat down on the soft brown couch as he flipped through channels on the flat screen across from the room. He flipped through the stations until he found a news channel with a "Breaking News" announcement that caught his attention.

A news lady popped up to explain what was going on, "The dangerous criminal Aleksei Sytsevich has broken out of the hospital treating him and is currently rampaging across the streets in New York City." A video feed showed a large man in an armored suit resembling a rhino charging and then skewering a police car as panicked officers desperately jumped out. "Authorities highly recommend staying in your homes to keep yourself safe." Connors leaned in as he got more interested. "Aleksei can be easily identified with his large stature and his armor. He usually goes by the alias 'The Rhino.'"

"The rhino, huh? Subtle." Connors mumbled to himself. Then, a strange thought crossed Connors. He could handle him. If he took the serum that made him into that monster, he would be able to go toe to toe against him. At first he brushed off the thought, considering that the serum's effects on him were still largely an unknown variable. Besides, the police are hired to deal with stuff like this, let them deal with this.

However, as he saw more and more clips of the rhino tanking the shots from the cops' pistols and him smashing police cars as if they were just cardboard, he began to reconsider. He looked back at the dream that woke him up where he saved Jenkins, maybe it was a sign, a sign he should use these powers to help others. Besides, if the serum's transformation was enough to deal with this bozo, wasn't it his responsibility to prevent this guy from causing further harm? His serum may have not had the effects he had intended, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. The pacemaker was made by accident as well. Also, the fact he didn't know much about how the serum changed him should be encouragement to test it further. It was his duty as a scientist to study the unknown, after all, and this rampaging lunatic could prove to be a perfect test. As he was thinking about this, he got up and left the house, making sure to grab the keys to open his lab.

...

"I can't believe I'm about to do this..." Connors whispered to himself as he walked out of the empty labs, green syringe in hand. "...but the people of New York could use the help so..." He took a deep breath, contemplating what he was about to do. Was he really going to do this again, after what happened last time? Then, an image burned into his mind, the bloodied face of Jenkins gasping for life. I could have saved him... he thought to himself, ...if only... before he knew it, the end of his syringe found its way back into his shoulder.