Chapter 10: The Truth

Half a day later:

Dr. Connors was back to working on the corrosive acid in his lab when he heard a knocking at his door.

"Come on in, Peter!" The doctor said enthusiastically. He heard the door open as he was focused on his work.

"Peter? Is that my new pet name or something?" A female voice asked.

Curt turned around in shock. "Martha?! What are you doing here?"

"Just thought I'd come in and say hello real quick. I brought you some food." She picked up a large bag with both of her hands and seemed to struggle to hold it.

"Do...you need any help with that?" Curt asked.

"No...no...I'm fine..."

Regardless, Curt rushed over, and helped her hold the bag with his one arm. "How'd you even manage to get that up here?" He asked.

As if reality itself wanted to answer the doctor, a third person rushed into the room. "Hey Martha, I'm back." He saw the couple holding the bag of food. "Oh, don't worry doc, I'll get that."

"Thank you, Peter." Martha said as Peter grabbed the bag and quickly plopped it onto a lab table.

"Peter, you came with her?"

"I just happened to bump into her as I came in." Peter explained, "Then I decided to help her with her little surprise."

"Ok...I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but you do realize bringing food to a lab is usually a bad idea, right?" Curt asked.

"Well...we can always just eat it at the break room. I was just anxious to see how you were doing on your serum." Martha replied, looking around the lab. "This is quite a nice setup you have here."

"Ok sure, but do you mind telling me what all this is for? What's the special occasion?"

"Nope, I just felt like doing this. Well, I guess this might be a late celebration for Billy graduating in the A honor roll."

"It's just, you've never really surprised me in the middle of work like this."

Martha looked down at the floor. "I guess I'm just in the mood for surprises."

"And speaking of Billy, if you're here, then where is he?"

"Oh!" Martha looked back up at her husband with a relieved smile. "He's hanging out at a friend's house. He wanted to talk to him about the new Lizard guy. They love talking about Spiderman stuff like that together."

"He's still talking about the Lizard, eh?"

"Yeah, the news covered him again, apparently he stopped a bank robbery by himself."

"Really?"

"Yeah, busted up the crooks so badly, he broke some bones. Billy said the lizard reminds him of that serum you're making." Curt's eyes went wide as she said that. "Speaking of which, how's your progress on that serum?"

"Oh...yeah... I'm not really working on that right now..."

Martha raised her eyebrow, "Then what are you working on right now?"

"I'm actually working on a type of..."

"Hey doc," Peter butted in, "Can I talk to you about something? In private, please?"

"Yes, of course Peter. Is it about your school?"

"Yeah, a couple things changed in the program."

"I mean..." Martha began, "Can't you talk to me about this?"