Chapter 9: The Power

Connors had been working tirelessly on the acid for hours. He worked for so long that it got dark and Peter had to get back home. Connors didn't let that bother him though as he kept up with his experiments.

Then, all of a sudden, a knock rang on his door. "Come in, doors unlocked." He said, thinking it was Peter who had forgotten something.

The door creaked open. "Hey, doc." A voice familiar to Curt rang out, but it wasn't Peter.

Curt looked up to see the guest, his face shrouded with shadow. "Can I help you?" He asked the man.

"Yeah, I just got a quick question for ya, doc."

"And what might that be?"

The man stepped out of the shadows, revealing a face mangled and bloodied by shrapnel. "Why didn't you save me?"

Curt stumbled backwards in shock, "J...Jenkins?!"

"You promised you would save me doc, but you didn't, why?" Jenkins slowly began to walk towards the doctor. Curt began hyperventilating as he quickly crawled away to a corner of the lab. "I was counting on you, doc, and you failed me."

Tears began to form on Curt's eyes. "I'm... I'm sorry Jenkins, I couldn't...I"

"Why couldn't you doc? You were right there. You could've saved me."

"I...I..." Curt found it impossible to talk coherently as he began to break down crying. He began to hear several explosions going off in the distance.

"Those last moments of my life were filled with excruciating pain, doc. God, so much pain." Jenkins was so close to the doctor at this point he was literally breathing down his neck, his breath cold and lifeless. "Let me show you what I'm talking about."

As soon as he said that, an explosion landed in between the two, tearing apart Curt's body.

Curt woke up from his nightmare in a cold sweat and screaming. He looked around to see that he was still in his lab.

He gave a huge sigh of relief, "Must've fallen asleep..." he whispered to himself. "Well, I guess that's enough work for today." He told himself as he began to grab his stuff and go. However, as he was leaving, he noticed a faint glow from the corner of his lab. He looked over to find one of his Lizard serums just sitting on a table. Connors just stared at it for a few seconds as he got lost in thought. "I mean, I can't sleep, so might as well..." he told himself as he reached out for the serum.

...

The Lizard was standing up on the rooftop of the building he worked at. He felt the warm summer winds splashing onto his face. He took a deep breath and smiled. "Let the experiment commence." He said as he jumped from the roof.

He quickly latched onto the wall of another building and leaped off of that onto another. Soon, he was bouncing from one piece of architecture to another, just like last night.

All of his worries and fears melted away as he zoomed through the city. He felt like he was over a decade younger. It brought him back to his life before he lost his arm when he would go out and explore to satiate his curiosity. It was as if he had broken out of a cage that had been built around him. Leaping through the city gave him an extremely intense feeling of freedom like he could do anything he wanted to do now.

As he was jumping around, he found the Empire State Building at the corner of his eye. He looked up at it, and gave a wide, toothy grin as an ambitious idea sprung into his mind. He started moving his trajectory towards the skyscraper, moving so fast that your average joe could only see a blur. Soon, he grabbed onto the wall of the tower and began to run up the wall. He scaled up the wall so fast that it only took him a little over a minute to reach the tippy top. There is where the Lizard perched himself up. His stained lab coat flowed with the large gusts of wind.