Chapter 8: The Aftermath

The next morning:

Connors had taken the cure shortly before he went back to bed. He had woken up to the harsh blaring of his digital clock.

"Curt dear, it's time to get up, Billy's going to be late for school." He heard his wife's voice beckoning.

"Martha, summer break just started, remember?" He sounded groggy as his senses slowly readjusted.

"Oh! Right...you still have work though."

"I know, I know. I'm getting up."

Connors kept to his word and quickly went through his morning routine. Brushing his teeth, putting on his clothes, the basic boring stuff. However, when he was grabbing a protein drink for breakfast, he overheard his son watching the news in the living room.

"Last night, convict Aleksei Sytsevich, also known as the Rhino, broke out of his hospital stay. Police theorize it was to get his revenge on Spiderman, who put him in there in the first place." He heard a female news reporter say.

"Wow, it seems like that guy hasn't learned his lesson." He heard his son say. Curt slowly etched his way to the living room to listen to the broadcast.

"However, when the Rhino started to demolish buildings, it wasn't Spiderman who went to settle the issue at first..." the reporter then began to describe the fight last night.

"Wait, so does Spidey have a partner now?" Billy asked.

"I guess so..." Curt answered as he took a seat right next to his son on the couch.

"As the two took the fight to the forest, news helicopters captured footage of the event." The broadcast then cut to a bird's eye view of the fight. Billy saw the large reptilian man and his eyes widened.

"Oh! That's so cool! He's like a big dinosaur man!"

"Yeah, I guess he is cool..." Curt gave a small smirk as he saw himself on the news. "Is he cooler than Spiderman, though?"

"I don't know, I'd have to see more of what he does before I can answer that."

"Ah, that makes sense, can't judge a book by its cover, I suppose."

"Yeah, that sort of thing."

"Now what are you two rascals up to?" Martha asked as she bumped into the conversation.

"It looks like Spidey got a partner." Billy replied.

"Oh really? That's exciting." Martha also took a seat right next to her son as the family took up the whole couch.

"When police approached the aftermath of the fight, they found Aleksei unconscious and brought him back to the hospital for treatment. The doctors found that his blood was laced with the venom of a timber rattlesnake. Luckily, an antidote was given to Aleksei before his condition became critical."

Billy shook his head, "They just never learn, do they? He escaped from the hospital once, he'll do it again."

"How did he manage to get bit by one of those things?" Martha asked.

"My guess is that the dino guy can control reptiles and make them do his bidding."

"Billy, that just sounds ridiculous..."

"I don't know..." Curt butted in, "I mean, he is a reptile and we don't know what he can do yet, so it's possible."

"Thank you dad! See mom, even our own reptile guy believes in me."

"Oh come on, Curt. You don't seriously believe someone can control animals like that, right?"

"Mom, this is a world where Spidey exists. Anything is possible!" Billy said, getting excited.