GENRE CATEGORY: Literary Retellings/Fairy Tales

The Dragon's Mark: Think Cinderella with Dragons! It starts out slow, with the first prologue or so giving a bit of background and establishing some characters that will be important later--and then the story really begins around the third "chapter"... so read this if you like dragons and fairy tales!

Link-- https://www.wattpad.com/story/169490328-the-dragon%27s-mark-a-twisted-fairy-tale

Red, The Wolf: This one is inspired by Little Red Riding Hood, but a more grown-up version, a shifter tale where "Red" is a wolf-shifter living in a remote mountain village, their self-appointed protector, who chases down a wild wolf that has been killing their sheep and causing problems for the village--and in the process, gets more than she bargained for! Read this if you like: wolf-shifters, magic, fairy tales, and not a whole lot of romance.

Link-- https://www.wattpad.com/story/230579164-red-the-wolf

The Prince and The Rose: This one started as a quick one-off prompt as a sort of "fix-fic" for the plot holes of the Disney film... and then it morphed into a complete retelling, where instead of an innocent, selfless damsel sent to pacify a selfish, arrogant prince trapped in beast form... it's the damsel herself who is the arrogant, shallow one, meanwhile the "beast-prince" has already learned his lesson but still needs to win her over in order to break the curse! Read this if you're just a fairy tale junkie (like me) who is interested in a short-ish read of a classic retelling.

Link-- https://www.wattpad.com/story/207721151-the-prince-and-the-rose-a-beauty-and-the-beast-re

The Water-Man: Part period piece, part crime novel, part gender-swapped Little Mermaid... This one is a bit of a strange one because of the "whodunnit" plot-line that goes with it, but really, I just wanted to write a story where a male "merman" (actually, he's an aquatic shifter, but you get the idea) has fallen in love with a human damsel, but he never had the chance to be human and actually get to meet her until a young girl arrives at the beach with her father and befriends him... It's set in the 1950's, so it's got that quaint, small-town feel to it. Read this if you like mermaids (or mermaid-adjacent cryptids!) and a light romance, and don't mind a little "murder mystery" on the side!

Link-- https://www.wattpad.com/story/49585258-the-water-man

Heartsong: This one takes the siren lore to new levels, combining it with the old superstition that "a woman aboard brings bad luck to the ship" (because ships, being female, would "be jealous" and "refuse to obey the captain") and the maritime laws that allowed for the casting overboard of any woman found... So in this story, these innocent women become sirens, able to hear and sing the "heartsong" of any creature--the literal frequency of their psyches. Singing along with a "heartsong" brings the creature under the siren's thrall, at which point the siren can change the "heartsong" and compel the creature to do whatever she wanted... even to the point of a person throwing himself overboard and drowning.
However, the particular siren in this story encounters a strange conundrum: a heartsong she can hear, but cannot bring herself to sing. Who is this man who renders her literally speechless? What can she do if she can't drown him like the others? Read this if you like mermaids, are interested in a slightly different take on the lore, and don't mind romance!

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/126008698-heartsong

"Once Upon Love": In college, I read and enjoyed the play Cyrano de Bergerac, and since that was the 2010's and the era of college romance dramas and contemporary adaptations, I tried my hand and writing my own contemporary romance based on a literary classic, set on a fictional college campus. Oh, and I also toned it down from a tragedy to a drama. So--happy ending! Yay! Did it work? You decide! 

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/198104079-once-upon-love-a-modern-cyrano-de-bergerac-story

Fanfictions:

Alice's Adventures In Storybrooke: Sort of a "new" take on various common fairy tales and adventure novels, in the style of the show Once Upon A Time, particularly as it crossed over with Once Upon A Time In Wonderland. This involves the characters from both shows, but includes peripheral characters from tales like Cinderella, Treasure Island, Robin Hood And His Merry Men, and Aladdin! To be honest, it's more of a "fix-fic" of the actual crossover, since I felt jilted with the way it played out in the show... and I knew they could do so much better! Read this if you like those shows, or if you're just curious to see what things would be like if characters from the different stories met up with one another!

Link-- https://www.wattpad.com/story/144808728-alice%27s-adventures-in-storybrooke-a-crossover

Poor Unfortunate Soul: This one is my take on, "If the writers of Once Upon A Time had bothered to write a Little Mermaid episode back in Season 2, and give Ariel and Eric real-world Storybrooke alters, instead of throwing it into the badly-conceived Season 3 for kicks." Yeah, another fix-fic. But I like the way it turned out, and if you like ABC's Once Upon A Time, and The Little Mermaid, I think you'll really enjoy this! 

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/238799571-poor-unfortunate-soul-an-ouat-fanfiction

Read Between The Lines/Fair Trade: My Grimm fanfictions also count as fairy tale re-tellings, since they borrow from a lot of classic literature and fairy tales! For these, I made up my own Wesen concept, a Kinderphantasie ("dream child" in German), which is a creature that feeds on imaginative energy, like a more realistic take on the "bookworm." In "Read Between The Lines" the Kinderphantasie uses mostly Gothic genre tropes as her signature, but in the sequel, "Fair Trade", there's an actual battle in a library, and it's revealed that the Kinderphantasie is also known by it's Persian name, the Arabic word for "silver tongue." Furthermore, a famous historical figure who was also secretly a silver-tongue would be Scheherazade, herself. Not unlike the Silvertongues from the Inkheart series, she has the ability to "read things out of stories", so Nick has to battle everything from Kaa the python from Jungle Book, to the flying monkeys from Wizard of Oz, and even Captain Hook himself! 

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/154301914-read-between-the-lines

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/159484104-fair-trade-sequel-to-read-between-the-lines