THEME CATEGORY: Crime/Whodunnit

Cipherstalker: This is an older work of mine, my first-ever attempt at a crime thriller. The premise is intriguing enough: I wanted to write a mystery from the perspective of a cryptophile (someone who is obsessed with codes and puzzles) who begins receiving coded messages warning of upcoming abductions--can he figure out the clues before the next victim is snatched... or worse?

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/78258694-cipherstalker-nanowrimo-2011-project

Protective Custody: Part "procedural" (with very little research done...), part paranormal, part rom-com.... This was a fun story involving a young police officer with a terrible work ethic, a couple of hilarious ghosts, and a lesson on the importance of looking out for others! It all started from one important scene that I found rather entertaining, and from there I had to construct a reasonable context for that scene--and the rest is history!

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/48633460-protective-custody

The Water-Man: This is another story with sort of a combined plot: part urban-fantasy, part romantic story... and a sub-plot of a robbery-turned-murder-spree that was altogether unexpected!  You wouldn't think the two plots could be connected, but I managed to find the point of "convergence" between the two, and resolve it fairly well! 

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/49585258-the-water-man

The Misfortune Cookie: One day while enjoying some Chinese takeout, I considered my fortune cookie and thought that perhaps it would be a clever way for an espionage group to pass messages along--and then what would happen if their message was intercepted by a random civilian? This is that story. If it feels kind of slapdash and thrown together quite randomly, you're right. I really didn't know where I was going from one twist to the next, but it sure was fun! 

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/132458416-the-misfortune-cookie

Suggestion Box, Volume 1: "Two Sisters" This specific short story in the first volume of Suggestion Box stories (I'll link it directly below so you don't have to scroll through the other stuff to get to this one) starts out innocent enough: just two spinstery sisters running a bed-and-breakfast out in the middle of rural Montana. Then one sister makes a terrible discovery, and the mystery unfolds: is there a murderer hiding on the grounds? Will he come after the sisters next?

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/167085748-the-suggestion-box-volume-1-part-2-two-sisters-1

Fanfictions

Read Between The Lines/ Fair Trade (Grimm)

Those who have seen Grimm know that it's part crime procedural, part fairy tale show. So these fall under the "crime" theme. The crimes in question? Well, in the first fanfic, Nick Burkhart has to investigate a string of seemingly unrelated, unfortunate circumstances: a hiker in the Gorge mysteriously dies, a wedding party all come down with a mysterious illness, a hotel maid goes berserk and starts openly stealing from guests... It just seems like an absurd amount of random crimes, until Nick realizes what all these things have in common: they're all common tropes in Gothic fiction... 

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/154301914-read-between-the-lines

In the sequel to this, the Wesen culprit behind all the crimes is released from jail and absolutely bent on exacting revenge for the incarceration. Unfortunately for Nick, the villain targets his fiancee Juliette right as they are in the thick of wedding plans... and the method he used to take the Wesen down the first time won't work--he needs more defenses in his arsenal, lest he fall prey to the insidious wiles!

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/159484104-fair-trade-sequel-to-read-between-the-lines

PotterLock Down (Harry Potter/Sherlock)

This fanfiction is predominantly from the perspective of Sherlock and crew, so the crime is the emphasis... except this time, the crime in question has magical elements. Holmes tries to conduct the investigation in his usual manner, questioning subjects and searching for clues--but the clues he finds aren't the usual telltale signs. Where magic has been used, Sherlock can see auras of different colors... but how does this help him track down the perpetrator? 

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/68226121-potterlock-down-a-crossover-fanfiction