GENRE CATEGORY: Portal Fantasy

A Writer's Tale--1: The Dragon's Quest; 2: The Commander's Courage; 3: The Sheriff's Showdown

A series based on a serial story I wrote as a personal challenge back in 2014, this series follows Laura, a writer stumped for ideas, as she crosses a magical portal that essentially transports her into the worlds of her unfinished drafts, each taking on different genre styles, and the tropes that go along with it. It starts with The Dragon's Quest, which is, of course, a high fantasy world (actually, if you've read the fanfictions Lost in Phantasm or The "Return" of MacPherson, then I can confirm that the fantasy world I used is the same one featured in these two, Phantasm) where Laura must team up with a unicorn, a dragon, and a fairy to rescue a gryphon and aid the dragon in literally earning his name. In The Commander's Courage, Laura is transported to a battleship in space, and must brave an invading alien force, a ship-wide lockdown, a broken android, and a bitter mechanic to save the defending crew and survive in time for her next adventure. The Sheriff's Showdown takes on the Western genre, as Laura is transported to a small town besieged by bandits constantly looting businesses and causing all manner of trouble. Can Laura figure out what is really going on before the townspeople start to suspect her?  This series is ongoing still, as there are more adventures to be had!

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/150865241-a-writer%27s-tale-1-the-dragon%27s-quest

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/177370907-a-writer%27s-tale-2-the-commander%27s-courage

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/207718517-a-writer%27s-tale-3-the-sheriff%27s-showdown

Suggestion Box Stories: The Legend of The Ecrivaine/Serenity's Light

The Suggestion Box is getting their own section to further explain how these things work, but for now I'll just mention these two stories that happen to fall into the Portal Fantasy category!

The Legend of The Ecrivaine is about a girl named Faith who thought she was just going on vacation to visit her aunt in France... but once there, she discovers a legacy several generations in the making that she is now a part of! "Ecrivaine" is French for "writer", and it was an ancestor of Faith's who first wrote the story that opened the portal into another dimension and summoned the Midnight Dragon. Now it's time for the Dragon to be sent back, which can only happen at a certain location, and can only be accomplished by a direct descendant of the first Ecrivaine--but there are others who want control over the dragon, and they will stop at nothing to achieve such power.

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/70917105-the-suggestion-box-vol-2-the-legend-of-the

Meanwhile, Serenity's Light brings together a Fae warrior, a wood-nymph, an immortal Viking, a museum curator, and a history professor to collect three enchanted items that had been scattered through time, and reunite them to return the light of Serenity--the sun of the Fae's world--to the world shrouded by darkness, and they must complete the collection before the items are swept up by a Dark Fae who intends to keep the power for herself!

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/84521399-serenity%27s-light-a-suggestion-box-story

The Dragon's Mark: Think Cinderella, with Dragons! This one is somewhat of a portal fantasy too, mainly because I borrowed the Midnight Dragon concept from The Legend of The Ecrivaine, and there's even a cameo of an important side character from that story in this one as well--so instead of just being oppressed because she's a step-child, my Cinderella character, Stella, is shunned because her skin, when bruised or injured, develops these hard, flaky, dragon-scale-like scars. She serves a widowed noblewoman whose importance comes from her late husband's connections to the ruling family over this 1920's Italian city. Her world is flipped upside-down when she receives the gift of a magical ring with a disturbing history, and she discovers a hidden truth about the ruling family that calls their legitimacy into question--but who would believe a girl whose body is riddled with scars? What is everyone hiding?