Sticks and Stones and Broken Bones

The days following her thankfully successful and uncomplicated surgery, Kate remained on her couch in the sorority house living room, an imprint of her body surely molded to the fabric. She felt lazy, sloppy, and like an intrusion, but it was not like there was much she could do to remedy this. Her dorm room was on the third floor, and the ancient building somehow had no elevator, so there was no way in hell Kate could make it to her room in one piece.

Getting to class was a no-go as well. Kate could not drive like this, with a busted right leg and impaired by narcotics, nor could she use one of those nifty scooters because the fracture and incision site were too far up her leg. Crutching to class was an option, she supposed, but most lecture halls boasted stadium seating, and the sidewalks on the way were uneven and perilous. If she attempted this feat, she would more likely be another squashed pedestrian rather than an attentive student.

Thankfully, most of Kate's professors were extremely understanding and accommodated the girl, and after one held a rather stern meeting with an indignant Yelena, all allowed Kate to learn remotely. Despite this, though, she found herself disregarding assignments and shrugging off lectures more and more as time melted into an endless loop. Her sleep was both constant and nonexistent, fluctuating between short bursts of less than refreshing naps and long stretches of drug-induced slumber.

Yelena kept careful watch of this small spiral, silently noting how much Kate slept, if she ate, if she took her meds. Something about seeing Kate like this, listless, bored, and immobile, flipped a protective switch in her head, and she tried her best to be there for the girl.

The sorority sisters kept careful watch as well. Jemma frowned as Kate slacked off her schoolwork, Wanda sighed as the brunette could not decide on a novel to read. Finally, when she shrugged off video games with Bobbi and Natasha, Yelena knew they had a bigger problem.

Kate was in her own head these days. Thinking, pondering, replaying memories in her head. As she sat, hour after drug stretched hour, she observed the people outside, longing to join them. Kids skating or biking by, walking hand in hand, tossing footballs or frisbees. It was winter, though, so being stuck inside was not so bad, but come springtime Kate prayed she would be recovered enough to skate again, or hell, at least walk. She never thought she'd be pleading with the sky for such a simple ability.

Though really attempting to stay positive, or at least apathetic, Kate's resolve was crumbling. This was not how she pictured her junior year unfolding. First, she gets a girlfriend, then breaks up with the girlfriend, gets back together, and then gets hit by a car.

Kate had so many dreams for the rest of her school year, moments she hoped to experience with Yelena by her side. Their first Valentine's Day, picnics on the quad in spring, hikes upstate. So much love that Kate felt she may miss out on, so much lost time. She wouldn't be in college forever.

To make matters worse, Kate was uncharacteristically uncommunicative. She was expectedly still clingy, and of course Yelena held Kate every chance she got, but conversation lulled. This was partially expected because of pain medicine and general sleepiness after a major procedure, but oddly, Kate would talk to another person. Daisy.

"Hey," Daisy said one day as she walked in, shutting the Tri Delta front door. "What's up, couch potato?"

Kate just groaned. "Hi."

"No one else here, huh?" Checking her watch, Daisy ventured into the kitchen, ruffling her blonde highlighted hair. "Good news, though, it's pill time."

As she had done all week, Daisy prepared a little tray for Kate. Snacks, medicine, fresh water, and whatever else Kate requested. She would never tell Kate, but she had been cutting out of class early each day to keep Kate company, saddened by the frumpy state of the girl. She delivered the tray, plopping down on the floor, leaning back against Kate's couch. When Kate made no further attempt of conversation, Daisy frowned.

"You okay? You've been quiet this week."

"You think I'll have a scar?" Kate asked mindlessly, eyeing her wrapped leg.

"Yeah. Definitely."

"Damn."

"You don't want one? I thought scars were in these days."

"If it was from something cool, maybe. Not a red beetle bumping me in the street. How am I gonna wear shorts now?"

"Proudly." Daisy turned back, rolling up a sleeve of her denim jacket. "You see this?"

Kate nodded, eyes traveling up the sinewy scars of Daisy's forearm. "What happened?"

"Surgery. Just like you. A few, actually. I have an unfortunate habit of shattering bones in my wrists."

"Wrists?"

Nodding, Daisy revealed similar scars on her other arm. "So, you're not alone, Bishop."

"Guess we're both Frankenstein," Kate smiled lightly, relaxing.

"Frankenstein's monster. He was the doctor."

"What?"

"Never mind, Kate. So, you good?"

Kate shrugged, opening up a Pop Tart. "Been a weird two weeks, man."

"You're telling me." Daisy reached a hand back, silently asking for a piece of pastry. Kate obliged. "Didn't think I'd be a nurse this semester, but here we are."

Laughing lightly, Kate sighed. "I don't know. I am okay, all things considered. Pain could be worse. And I've got a lot of people looking out for me."

"Well yeah, it could be worse, I guess... but things could also be a lot better. You were close to being road kill. It's okay to be upset about that."

"Yeah, I know." Kate sighed. "Don't tell Yelena this, but I can't stop thinking about how lucky I was. If I was a few feet closer, or if that guy was going any faster... I don't know. We'd be having a very different conversation."

"Why not tell Yelena? That's what she's here for."

"She's doing so much already. She's fighting my professors for me, running errands, letting me live in her house. I can't bother her with stuff like that."

"Yelena's strong, Kate. Trust me." She chewed her lip, contemplating. "You know, me and her..."

"You and her?"

"Yeah, me and Yelena... we were a thing. Not really a thing, it didn't last, but... I thought I should tell you. You know, conflict of interests and all." Daisy shook her head, clearing out memories. "My point is, she is a strong, fierce protector. So let her be that. Don't get in your own way."

"You're right." Kate nodded thoughtfully. It would have been easy to allow jealousy to take hold, easy to shun Daisy, but Yelena made her choice, and she chose Kate. She chose Kate with every check in text, every coffee run, every late night cuddle when Kate couldn't sleep. She made her choice. "No use in trying to tame Yelena, is there?"

Daisy laughed, genuine and sweet. "No. No use at all, man."

____________________________
Hi sorry this took longer than expected. I promise next chapter will not be about broken legs. I feel like this book from now on will be snapshots of the rest of the school year, then lead into the summer. Promise we'll meet Pepper soon, too. I haven't forgotten.

Also 🚨🚨 I wrote a new KateLena one shot. It's called Scars and I think it's pretty good. Check it out if you want.