45. campaigns and coming outs

CAMPAIGNS AND COMING OUTS

✧・゚: * Nora kicks the Michael Myers mask away from her as she sits at the back of the RV the group had stolen, leaning her head on Max's shoulder as the redhead returns the act, "Running Up That Hill" leaking out of her headphones.

"Y'know how all the victims were seeing Ms. Kelley?" Nora starts, not lifting her head from Max's shoulder.

"Hm," Max hums in acknowledgment and Nora notices her turn down the volume of her music.

"So, maybe if we, like, go back to her office, and check out the files-"

"We don't have time for that, Nor," Max says softly. "And we can't put a total stranger at risk. They wouldn't know we're up against. I do," she then goes on to explain Vecna's process. She talks about how he goes into her memories, and tries bringing out the dark ones.

"I just have to hide in the light, in the happy memories," Max finalizes. "The happiest memory."

"You have a memory in mind?" Nora understands what Max is saying about being connected to Vecna or whatever, but can't help but still feel overprotective.

"Yeah," and although she can't see her face, Nora can tell Max is smiling softly.

"Tell me about it," Nora also smiles. "Am I in it?"

"Maybe. And I will. I'll tell you about it. As soon as all this is over."

Nora gets a pit in her stomach at the redhead's uncharacteristically optimistic words, but doesn't say anything as she just closes her eyes and basks in the moment.

Before she knows it, they've arrived at the War Zone, and Robin, Steve, Nancy, Erica, and Max (much to Nora's dismay) go inside to gather supplies while Dustin, Lucas, Eddie, and Nora stay to keep each other company in the RV.

"Hi," Nora drops into the seat across from Eddie at the tiny side table he's sitting at.

"Hi," he stops fiddling with his thumbs to look up at Nora. "Disposable Heroes really your favorite song?"

"I dunno," Nora shrugs dismissively, still unsure what song would really save her life. "What's yours?"

"Master of Puppets, for sure," he says without hesitation.

"Yeah, that checks out," Nora laughs along with him.

"Hey, when this is all over, we'll need to have another campaign," Eddie starts. "Your character never got a happy ending."