*40. babe

BABE

BABE

✧・゚: * "How are you doing?" Nora asks as she lays across the roof of some old car in the junkyard the morning after they parked there.

They just finished burying the body of the security dude, and Will and Mike are on the hood of their own car having some deep talk while Jonathan and Argyle are getting high in the van.

"I'm good. As good as I can be. You?"

"I'm fine," Nora nods. "Worried," she uses an arm to shield the sun beating down on her face.

"Yeah," Max says from her position sitting up on the roof, legs hanging over the side so her back is to Nora. "I should call my dad soon."

"Yeah, I need to talk to Steve."

"How is he?" Max turns to Nora now, but the girl still has her eyes covered and closed. "How's everyone? I feel like I'm not in the loop anymore."

"Maybe if you hung out with us more. . ."

"Yeah, don't act like you don't hate that Hellfire Club too," Max won't let Nora guilt trip her. "Sorry I like spending my time doing more worthwhile things."

"Join the cheer squad, Ms. No One Understands Me Like Music Does," Nora snarks, moving so she's sitting on her elbows now, squinting up at Max. "And I don't hate Hellfire, Hellfire hates me."

"How come?" Max looks kinda concerned.

"I dunno," Nora shrugs it off. "I'm not really into the game like they are, I guess."

"Too caught up in cheer?" Max looks understanding, but Nora knows she doesn't take the cheerleading thing seriously.

"It's fun," Nora finds herself trying to convince Max her hobbies are interesting too for the hundredth time. "Cheer is to me as skateboarding is to you," she tries saying it in terms Max will understand.

"I don't believe that," Max just shakes her head, dismissing it as always. "Your favorite subject is Science, Nor. You can't fool me."

"I think it just goes to show the. . . complexity of women, and how I can be. . . multifaceted. . . and not reduced to a single personality trait, y'know?"

"I could never hear those words out of a cheerleader's mouth. It's okay, babe, just say you did it for Lucas and we can move on."

"I did not do it for Lucas!" Nora sits up completely now, moving so she's next to Max and can stare at her taken aback. "I don't-. . . did you just call me 'babe'?" Nora suddenly backtracks.