𝐈𝐈𝐈. 𝐆𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

" Double, double, toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.
Double, double, toil and trouble;

Fire burn and cauldron bubble.
Double, double, toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.

Something wicked this way comes !"

Edith's boot tapped rhythmically agaisnt the stone of the floor of the Great Hall, a smile on her face as she listened to the incredibly talented choir. The song ended, and the students parted, the toads and ravens in their arms brought back with them to their seats.

The sorting ceremony had once again came and went, with the three triplets that Edith and Murphy came across on the train having been sorted into Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Slytherin, respectively.

At the choir's parting, Dumbledore stepped upto his owl crested podium, a grin on his face as he greeted his students.

"Welcome, welcome to another year at Hogwarts! Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor RJ Lupin, who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, Professor." The Headmaster held out an arm in the man's direction.

Lupin stood, hands laced together as he gave a bashful bow towards the students, an applause rising soon after Dumbledore had spoken.

Murphy held their chin in their palm, an excited glint in their eye. "Oh-ho-ho, this year's gonna be great."

Edith had the same feeling of exhilaration in her stomach, the thought of having a proper teacher for her second favourite subject in her final year was a blessing.

"Secondly, Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, has decided to retire, in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken, by none other than our own, Rubeus Hagrid."

Another applause began, and Hagrid sat with a small smile on his face, in-between Flitwick and McGonagall. The latter elbowed the half-giant, and he stood, pushing away the table, even towering over Dumbledore on his podium.

The applause increased, particularly from the Gryffindor table and the Hufflepuff table.

Hargid sat down once again, with the sounds of clapping following soon after began to Dumbledore speak again.

"Finally, on a more disquieting note, at the request of the Ministry of Magic, Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban, until such a time as Sirius Black is captured."

A murmur echoed through the halls as students muttered amongst themselves.

Edith watched as Murphy physically deflated at the man's words. She reached over, placing her hand over theirs. Murphy blinked, a thankful, but weary smile being sent her way in response.

Dumbledore continued. "The Dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now whilst I've been assured that their presence will not distupt our day-to-day activities... a word of caution. Dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you... give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving."

The hall listened through a somber air, with Edith's thumb now tracing a small sweeping pattern on the back of Murphy's wrist.

"But you know," Dumbledore started, raising a finger. "Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times," the man swept a hand, and a candle flickered out. "...if one only remembers, to turn on the light."