𝐗𝐈𝐈. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡 𝐁𝐞𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐇𝐢𝐬 𝐌𝐚𝐝𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

"HE'S A WHAT?"

"Murphy for Christ's sake- Shut up!" Edith yanked the metamorphmagus back down onto their chair, ignoring the annoyed stares sent their way by other sixth and seventh years in the library around them, trying to make good use of the revision periods they had been given since the start of February.

Murphy continued to stare at the girl through wide eyes, white rippling through their hair.

"You can't tell anyone!" Edith whispered, clutching their shoulder. "It's a miracle he opened up enough to tell me, I understand its a really big thing, believe me, I do, but he's still the same Remus you and I know."

Murphy brought a hand up, running it through their hair, their stare dropped to the open book below them.

"That's... I mean... Christ... no offence, but it explains the scars..."

"None taken. But please, promise me you won't tell anyone."

"Does it even need to be said? I'll take it to my grave."

"... I owe you one, Murph."

"Add it to the list." Murphy remarked, reaching over and patting her forearm. "No one will hear it from me, I swear. It's a big thing, but you're right. He's still the same guy. That's wild though... so uh... how exactly does he stop himself going all 'wolf-rampage' when his time of the month comes around?"

Edith stared at the Metamorphmagus through unimpressed eyes.

"What? It's an honest question!" Murphy smiled.

Edith rolled her eyes, glancing over her shoulder. The small nook they were sat in worked as a quiet area to speak in, but Edith kept her voice down anyway.

"Professor Snape brews this potion for him, it's called Wolfsbane. Basically, when a Werewolf transforms, they lose all sense of who they are, and only the more animalistic traits stay, Wolfsbane makes it so that a human can be in control of themselves even after they've transformed. The potion changes the transformation to where they turn into just a regular wolf, but they're in as much control as an Animagus is."

"Huh. That wasn't mentioned in Defence Against the Dark Arts." Murphy noted.

"Remus said it's not even part of the Hogwarts curriculum, which explains why we've never heard of it."

"Even with you taking Alchemy this year." Murphy added.

Edith nodded, crossing her arms and leaning her head down. "Turns out, Harry's dad James, Sirius and Peter became unregistered Animagi to keep him company during the transformations. I uh...I offered to do the same."

Murphy raised a brow. "As in...?"

"As in, Remus transforms, I turn into a bird and keep him company. I hate knowing he's been alone all this time, especially with his... wolf problem."

"And that's safe?"

"Of course it is. Even if he didn't have the potion, I'm no threat to him if I'm transformed."

"And he's letting you do that?"

"At the end of this month, yeah. I offered a few weeks ago, back when he first told me, but he said it would be easier if we left it to this month instead." Edith replied, tracing a few nicks carved out of the wood of the dark table.

"Wow. Okay. It's... it's good you're keeping him company."

"... I'm sensing a 'but', here. What's up?"