𝐈𝐕. 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐀𝐢𝐥𝐬 𝐘𝐨𝐮

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

"Welcome, to Defence Against the Dark Arts. N.E.W.T level." Professor Lupin spread his arms, a confident expression on his face as he stood in front of the twenty students in his class.

This year, as it was most years previously, the number of students in seventh year was much smaller than the other year groups in the school, with only around seventy in total, a large difference from the average two hundred and fifty students the other years.

Edith learned that this was probably due to seventh year being optional, with some witches and wizards happy to head out into the world after receiving their results from the previous year.

As a result of this, each Professor teaching a seventh year group had a much smaller class.

A wardrobe behind the man trembled, with the students eyeing it curiously.

"Now, before we start. Can anybody fill me in on what Professor Lockhart did with you last year? If you feel like anything needs to be covered again, I can work it into our schedule for the year." Remus explained, rocking back on his heels, wand loose in his palm.

Oliver held up a hand from the back.

"Mr Wood, yes."

"Lockhart spent the year giving us pop quizzes of himself, sir."

Remus' head tilted in disbelief. "....Truly?"

"Yeah, he's not kidding." Murphy added, crossing their arms.

"Dear me..." Remus breathed, shaking his head. The man perked up again, gesturing towards the class. "Can I assume that we're all in agreement? That those who have taken this class would like to pass it?"

An agreeing murmur floated around the room.

Remus smiled. "Perfect. What's say we get started right away then!"

The man took a few steps back, an arm spread in the direction of the wardrobe.

"Can anyone take a guess at what's inside?"

The students watched the wardrobe rock once again, it's legs thunking on the floor with the rapid movement.

"Whatever it is, it looks mad as all hell."

"It does, doesn't it Murphy?" Remus wore an amused smile.

"Is it a Boggart, sir?" Mallory spoke, a hand raised daintily in the air.

"It is a Boggart, Miss Norden. Five points to Ravenclaw. Can anyone tell me what a Boggart would look like, if I was to unlock the door?"

"Nobody knows. They're fear-fed shapeshifters. They'll only take the form of whatever the closest person around them fears." Edith replied, perched beside Murphy, their shoulders brushing together.

"They are indeed, Miss Finch. Five points to Hufflepuff. Boggarts, as Miss Finch said, are shapeshifters. Many others overlook the fact that technically, they're also mind readers. For a Boggart to take the shape of what you fear the most, it must see inside you. They're fast creatures, often remaining hidden until they're burrowed away somewhere. Shapeless in the dark."