𝐗𝐈𝐕. 𝐀𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐠𝐥𝐨𝐰 (Epilogue)

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

The light searing his eyelids made him wince, bringing an aching hand up to cover his face. The ground beneath his bare back was hard, and Remus felt many a twig and pebble digging into his skin.

His body ached all over, a tingly numbness settled over his muscles.

But a hand stroked back the hair on his forehead, and he lost himself in the comfort of the repetitive, fond action.

Remus tried again to open his eyes, slower this time, letting them adjust to the light around him.

"Hey.... Good morning."

"You're here..." Remus breathed, looking up at the girl, his head weightless in her lap.

"I promised you it wouldn't change a thing." Edith reminded him quietly, continuing to brush back his hair.

"... This is the part where you walk away."

"No, I don't think I will."

Remus groaned slightly, face twisting in discomfort. "Is it even worth... asking what happened last night after..."

"I'll save you the challenge of remembering. We forgot your potion, you changed in front of me, Sirius and the kids, Sirius and I tried to contain you, things unfolded, you ended up in the forest by yourself. I followed you for the majority of this morning. Now we're here." Edith shrugged.

Remus nodded slightly. "Did... did I hurt anyone? Infect anyone?"

"No. You gave Sirius a fair fight, but besides the odd bruise, he's fine. He's safe, off with Hagrid's Hippogriff. I hear they're quite happy actually." Edith leaned over, her hand stroking his cheek.

"It's okay. We're all okay. How're you feeling?"

"Sore... but given a day or so in the Hospital Wing, it'll pass. I feel like I've been run over by the Hogwarts Express."

Edith choked a laugh, and a smile broke through Remus' face, he stared up at her.

"You're beautiful." He said, the pink early morning skyline behind her acting like a halo.

Edith shook her head, humming. "Mh hm. So are you, sweet talker." She paused for a moment. "I don't think he likes me very much."

"...Who?"

"The Wolf."

"He does, really, he does.... last night was just a difficult time. It's not just me who gains awareness with the potion, he does as well. It's strange, having another person... another being... inside you like that."

"It's like you share a soul, almost."

"Or we're two parts of the same soul. Whatever way you want to look at it. At us."

"It's a good thing I love you both then." Edith commented quietly.

Remus watched her for a few seconds.

"Before I changed... you looked scared."

"I was scared."