(NEW) The Rules of the Beast Part one

(HUNGARY 1897)

A man sat on a bed, the church's music rising through the floorboards as he stared intently at a fly on the wall. He reached out a hand. Ever so slowly, he was getting closer--

"Are you hungry, Mr.Harker?" A nun asked, startling the man. He looked at her, then back to the fly. He hadn't even been aware he was getting so close. He looked at her, then back at the wall for a brief moment, the fly's buzzing wings sounded even louder to him.

"No--I'm--I'm fine." he said, he sounded distracted as he watched it fly overhead. "Thank you." The door to his little 'cell' was opened by said nun. "Then perhaps we can talk." She said, carrying a heavy bag in her hands. "uh.." he glanced behind him as he saw (Name), asleep on the other side of the room, but it seemed the noise of the door had woken her up.

She rubbed her eyes, pushing her hair out of her face as she looked at the nun. They'd been here since--since THAT incident..but she had never seen this nun.

"I'm Sister Agatha." she gave a small smile as Jonathan looked at her. "I thought we'd met all the sisters." "I have been sequestered." She answered. "in prayer?" Jonathan questioned as (Name) woke up fully, now sitting on the edge of the bed as the nun approached. "In study, Mr Harker, of you. Of your sister."

She placed the bag on the wooden table, the thud resonating through the now, otherwise quiet room. "I've read your account of your most interesting stay in Transylvania." "It's the truth." Jonathan said as Agatha started puling out stacks of paper, tied with strings to keep them together.

"And what a lot of truth there is. Sister Angela told me you wrote all day and all night for a whole week." She said, looking down briefly at the wooden stakes at the bottom of the bag and then up at the pair again.

"Please, sit with me." Agatha invited, sitting down on a chair as she watched the pair. (Name) stood by Jonathan for a moment before she sat down, looking over at Jonathan as he lingered and hesitated. his eyes focused on the sunlight coming down. 

"Is the sun a little bright for you?" "No." Jonathan replied. "good. That's good, isn't it?" She asked with a smile as Jonathan slowly sat down. "here, I've got you." (Name) said as she slowly helped him onto the chair as the door creaked open once more.

Another nun entered. "Ah, my dear, come in. We are to be observed. Apparently, I cannot be trusted alone with a man. Consider yourself chaperoned." The young nun sat down, joining the group. "Mr. Harker I intend no impertinence, but why are you still alive? Why is Miss. Harker is not in the same condition as you?" "We fled. We were trapped. We escaped." 

He couldn't answer why (Name) had avoided his fate, and was, all things considered, doing well. But he thanked God for sparing her at the very least, for not cursing her as he'd been.

The nun nodded her head. "Escaped, yes." "We fled that place in terror for our lives. He is a monster. I-I swear to you. He is the Devil himself." Johnathan said, looking right at Agatha as (Name) remained silent, letting him tell his story for the moment.

"Then why have you stopped?" "Stopped what?" Jonathan asked. "Fleeing. You two have been here nearly a month." It was silent for a moment before Johnathan looked at the cross necklace one of them wore, with Jesus crucified on the cross. 

"We're safe with you." "Why?" Agatha questioned as he looked up at her. "This is a house of God." A laugh was heard from Sister Agatha as the two stopped. 

""A house of God is it?" She laughed, a smile coming to her face. "Well that's good. We could do with a man around the place, eh sister?" She asked, leaning onto the nun beside her.

"Two years ago, a church in this town collapsed. The roof fell on the congregation, killed everyone as they preyed. including the children. The priest was the only survivor. Priests are like that. He said to me afterwards that even in moments like these, he was able to maintain his faith. I told him he should have maintained his roof. Look to your own protection Mr. Harker. God doesn't care."

Jonathan gave a scoff as a fly landed on him. "The way you talk, it's unusual in someone of your calling." He said, the fly walked over his face, and right onto his eyeball, but he didn't even seem to notice. "My calling was a very long time ago." She said, focused on him as he finally noticed their stares. Especially (Name's) stare.

"What is it?" "You have..something in your eye." (Name) said as Jonathan looked over to her as the fly crawled in under his eyelid, and him turning his eye to look at her only pushed it deeper. She tried to not cringe away at the sight, but it was difficult. "Is it gone?" (Name) could see the fly moving behind his eye as she couldn't speak. Luckily Agatha spoke for her.

"Yes." It was quiet for a moment. "Your fiancé Mina." Agatha spoke up again. "You mentioned her a lot when you first arrived. Mina Murray." "Oh-Uh Yes." Jonathan took (Name's) hand as she ran her fingers over the dry, cracking skin. "I need to contact her--" "You must love her very much." 

Johnathan didn't answer right away before (Name) squeezed his hand lightly as he smiled. "Of course." "Perhaps, in time, You will let her read this account." "If she wishes. Yes." Johnathan answered. "So, out of kindess, you've omitted from your writings anything that would alarm or disturb her?"

The tone was accusatory.  "Well, I didn't want to--" "So now, you BOTH, may tell me everything that occurred in the time you both spent with the Count at his castle." Both Jonathan and (Name) gave her a look of confusion, and some slight reluctance. 

"Your dinners, your conversations, your intimate moments. Your life, Mr. Harker, may depends on your complete honesty. Miss. Harker, the same goes for you in regards to not only his life, but your own. Do you two understand what I'm asking you?" 

Jonathan looked at her, his hand holding (Name's) a little harder. "I think so."

"I'm asking, Mr. Harker, Miss. Harker, if you had sexual intercourse with Count Dracula." She asked as (Name) felt her free hand ball the fabric of her dress in her hands as a fly landed on the paper in front of them.