Chapter 33

“Whoa!” Drew yelled down the hallway. He waved a skinny arm and sprinted toward me. “Hold up!”
Dear God, don’t tell me there’s another crisis. This afternoon’s visit from Alyssa was enough to unsettle everyone. Someone else is going to have to find Sunshine and wrestle the Coke from Judd’s hand.

I swiveled as best I could on my heels, juggling the Ask Anything notes, a water bottle, my pen, and an earpiece. After the interview, I had to give one last look at the scripts, make any corrections, and get ready for the six o’clock show. When that wrapped up, I’d have to slide into Candace’s dress and speed over to the fundraiser.

“Hey, before you rush into the studio, I wanted to talk to you.” Out of breath, Drew leaned against the wall and folded his arms so tightly I thought the thin sleeves would rip out of his shirt.

Drew cleared his throat. “First of all, Alyssa came to beg for her job back. I wanted to let you know I didn’t give it to her. In fact, I’m working on that restraining order we talked about. She can’t just barge into the station anytime she likes.”

Relief washed over me. Thank goodness.

“Second, I’ve had a few more viewer calls today. Very positive. People like you and Rick together.”
I flushed with pleasure.

“Keep up the good work.” Drew tapped his watch. “Better run, Cinderella. Your interview’s waiting.”
The lights sparkled as I rushed into the studio. Before I caught my breath and organized my thoughts, I clipped on my mic and popped in my earpiece.

I waved hello to the camera crew and walked over to the set. My guest was Cher’s sister, Shauna, who had started the Macon, Georgia, chapter of the National Adoption Center. I’d also invited Cher and her daughter, Ella Marie.

“So nice to meet you. Your sister’s a gem. Hey Ella, how are you?” I shook Shauna’s hand, then Ella’s, too.

“I didn’t want to steal the spotlight from Shauna, but when I told my sister about you, Jaden, and everything, she insisted we come along.” Cher explained.

“That’s great! I’m glad you did.”

I sat down with Shauna and Cher, explained how the segment worked, when we planned to air it, and asked if they had any questions.

“Our focus is really getting the word out to the local community about adopting children right here in the United States,” Shauna told me. “I think it’s easy to forget that there are so many children—even here in this community—who need loving homes.”

“Like Ella Marie and Cher,” I added and smiled at both of them.

“Exactly.” Shauna nodded. “Our motto is:

There are no unwanted children, just unfound families.”

My throat caught and my eyes misted over. “Oh, I love that.”

“It’s what we’re all about.”