Chapter 41

“We wrap up tonight with a reminder to check news stands later this month for the next issue of Georgia Now magazine. Our own Rick Roberts will be the cover model.” I smiled over at Rick, who was trying not to laugh.

Rested and ready to get back to work, I went on air with a thick covering of Mac StudioFix and a positive attitude. In the right light, you could almost see the darkest purple parts of the bruise.
Drew promised me they’d stay away from too many close-up shots.

Video rolled from today’s magazine shoot. A photographer and reporter from Georgia Now had visited Rick at the station that afternoon. They trailed after him for hours, asking questions and snapping pictures.

“The article in Georgia Now will cover Rick Robert’s impressive journalism career, contain exclusive photos, and include three ‘top-secret’ facts about Rick’s hobbies and interests.”

Joe came back to the two-shot of Rick and me on set. We had another twenty seconds to wrap up the show. I decided to take a chance and tease Rick about the article.

“Can you give us a hint about the secret hobbies? I’m dying to know.” I leaned over and batted my eyelashes. “Gourmet cooking, wind-surfing, and basket-weaving?”

Rick tapped his chin thoughtfully. “Close.” He wasn’t giving up anything.

“Inventor, computer wizard, and science fiction writer?”

“You’ll just have to wait and see,” Rick said firmly, shaking his head, clearly enjoying the extra attention.

“All right. Have it your way. I’ll wait along with everyone else if I have to!” I joked, then wrapped up the show. “That’s all for now. Thanks for joining us.”

Rick nodded and looked into the camera. “We’ll see you back here tonight for WSGA News at Ten.”
Our mics turned off and the station theme music played. I stacked my scripts and chatted with Rick. In the monitor to our right, Joe ran the station credits on the bottom of the screen.

“Thanks, folks. Good show tonight,” Joe spoke into our earpieces. “Meet you back here in a few hours.”

“Good show,” I echoed and grabbed the bottle of water at my feet, unplugged my IFB and laid my mic on the anchor desk.

Everything tonight went so well, I was actually floating on air—no video glitches, audio problems, and no script stumbles. Best of all, I’d actually had enough courage to inject some humor into the weather toss and about Rick’s feature article.

“Thanks for giving that extra push on the Georgia Now article,” Rick winked and jumped out of his chair. “You have to let that personality shine through more often.”

“Thanks!” I glowed from the compliment.

“You’re quite the trooper, coming in and keeping your chin up, after all that happened with Alyssa,” Rick gave me a sidelong glance.

“Make-up hides a lot of flaws. Besides, I didn’t have a chance to thank you in person for all you did. Coming to my rescue,” I said as I pushed my chair away from the desk and stood up.

“All in a day’s work, ma’am.” Rick said with a bow, and pretended to tip his hat. Rick had moved closer, his lips were inches from mine. He tucked an arm around my waist. His eyes didn’t leave my face. “I’d do anything to protect a fair maiden in distress.”

My pulse sped up and I put a hand on his chest and pushed him away. “Rick!” I chided.” This was dangerous territory. Like quicksand. One false step…

I gathered our scripts, trying to act casual, and tossed them in the recycling bin on our way out the door. Warning lights flashed in my head. Say something about your husband.