Epilogue

“Brought some lattes from The Daily Grind,” Candace called out. “Dino says hello!” She set down a coffee carrier on the counter.

“Mmm, smells delicious!” I exclaimed, and watched Candace’s two girls scamper through our living room, out the French doors, and off into the back yard. For a late April day in Georgia, it was warm and sunny. “I can’t believe how much the girls have grown!”

“I think Marcus sprinkled Miracle Grow on them.” Candace sunk into the couch cushions. “Where’s Chris? And the little man?”

Darius. The miracle we never expected. Out of habit, I touched the pendant Candace gave me.

“Chris is picking him up. Darius was invited to a sleepover. He was so excited. He’ll be back soon; he knew the girls were coming over.” I grinned and checked my watch.

“He’s such a brave little boy. What do the doctors say?” Candace asked.

“The tests came back. Everything’s good so far. Darius is such a fighter. Sharice would be so proud of him.” I paused and pictured her face. “I think, somehow, she knows.”

Days before Sharice died a year ago, doctors discovered Darius had acute lymphocytic leukemia, or ALL, a type of blood cancer. ALL was curable, especially if caught early. After a long, long talk, some tears, and more discussion, Chris and I petitioned the court to allow us to serve as Darius’s foster parents. We decided we couldn’t let him get lost in the system.

Sharice had taken good care of Mother. We needed to take care of Darius. This sweet, loving boy needed a family. As it turned out, we needed him just as much.

We were able to get Darius in to see the specialists at Macon Medical Center’s Premier Cancer Treatment Center, the very place Chris’s parents helped create. Darius could get the best oncology care, right here at home.

Over the next months, Chris and I held his hands during endless blood tests and chemotherapy visits. When Darius would cry, I’d find myself crying along with him. When Darius had to stay in the hospital, Chris would sleep in one of the over-sized chairs and I’d curl up in the bed next to Darius’s little body.
During the day, we read books, drew pictures, brought in stuffed animals and funny cards. Joe, Drew, and the guys from the station brought balloons and cookies. Candace and the girls made cheery, colorful posters for the walls of his hospital room.

When doctors finally gave the okay, that Darius was in remission, we celebrated and brought him home, hopefully, for good.

I heard the creak of the front door opening. “Hey everybody,” Chris called out.

Darius ran into the room and hugged me. “Hi, honey,” I squeezed him to my chest, kissed his cheek, and rubbed his smooth head.

He turned to Candace. “Are Jaden and Allie here?”

“In the back, go on and see. They’ve been waiting for you.”

Darius trotted off as fast as his legs could carry him.

Chris wheeled Mother in the room. She lifted a hand to wave.

“Let’s put you over by the back window so that you can watch Darius and the girls.” I walked over to Mother, moved her wheelchair, then leaned over, and gave her a quick kiss. She moved away slightly at the touch, but didn’t seem upset.

“How are you feeling?” I asked in a quiet voice.

Mother drew in a quick breath and glanced around the room, looking a bit unsure of where she was. She opened her mouth to speak, then closed it and rubbed her lips together. Her eyes clouded over and her hands fluttered together like a butterfly settling on her lap.