70

Monika is curled up on my chest. She's not asleep. I don't know what she's doing but she's silent and it seems like she doesn't want to be disturbed.

I'm the silence I'm bombarded with information I learned today finally getting to my brain.

I have parents. Parents? I was made? Not just...created from thin air? Pulled from the void because of a balance in the universe?

Or is it that they made me a proxy? Or did they...make me? Like I made Nathaniel. Like I made my children?

I don't remember not being an adult. I rub her scalp. She shifts in my arms, coming a bit closer.

"I was thinking of that day," I whisper.

She shifts. "What day?"

"In Moshoy. With the corn dogs."

She rubs her face on my chest. "They say you killed a god for me? Is it true?"

I nod.

She lifts her face, pressing a kiss against my lips.

"You're not upset?" I ask her forehead against mine.

She smiles. "Whether you're guilty or innocent. Wrong or right, nothing will deter my love for you. I will do anything for you."

I shake my head. "If I'm not there...you take care of yourself. Sell me out, give me up, I don't care. Put yourself first."

She stared into my eyes, shaking her head subtly.

I look down. "Don't look at me like that. I'll survive-"

"Do I need to make another war," she looks up at me. "For you to destroy them? I will. I'll make it worst this time, I promise," she cups my face. "I will do whatever it takes."

And I know she will. But the sad fact is they weren't lying. They're primordial gods. Gods of Chaos. What powers me also powers them. Death, war, and destruction are also chaos.

"No."

I need to starve them of power. It's nearly impossible. The universe thrives on balance and chaos. But...

If I can narrow down what Monika is the goddess of, I can find out how to beat them.

She shifts. They keep her in the dark.

I look at her. "What is your favorite thing, my little wife?"

She smiles softly. "A rose."

I make one for her, handing it to her. Her eyes shimmer a bit.

I suddenly remember. The inscription. That temple.

Rose. Goddess of Love.

I chuckle. Well. That makes more sense. Why do they want to keep her from me?

"Make this flower grow, love," I instruct her.

She frowned, touching the petals. They stretch out, growing, shifting, the flower getting larger in her hands.

Ah...

"Now...plant it," I ask softly.

She looks down. "In your chest?" 

I shake my head. "Try the bed. See if you make it grow."

She sets it down. "There's no soil."

I nod. "Try your best." She holds her hand over the rose awkwardly, using her to stand it up.

"You wanted to wait, didn't you?" I ask as she tried to make the rose grow. "For the baby. You've been waiting?"

She smiles softly before nodding. "Until everything settles down."

I cup her face. "I love you, Monika."

The rose grows, behind me as she kisses me gently, going back to its original state as she pulls away.

Now it all makes sense.

A fertility goddess. I assumed she had all my powers. And I think maybe she can access them. But the humans gave her a different designation.

She is both a destruction and life goddess. I chuckle.

She raised her brow. "What?"

I shake my head. "I found out why they want you, Monika. You're more powerful than they can deal with."

One of her eyes close as I kiss her head. She's struck with confusion, her head cocking. "Hm...I'm not sure what that means, Slade."

I smile. "Monika...I love you."

Her eyes light up. There they are. Big and brown and sparkling. She grins.

"I love you too!"