86

My eyes cannot be torn from the despair on Monika's face. She's speechless, a heart-wrenching gasp escaping her.

Then she closes her eyes.

What a mess I've made. And him. Azareal opens his hand.

"You forget me so easily," he says, the scar on his mouth twitching as his mouth does in ire. "But I will soon have you regret that. Burn, Father."

Monika is frozen, her eyes on the floor. Fire engulfs me for a moment.

In this tower of fire, those familiar red eyes burn back at me. One pair with hatred. One with regret. My lips turn up despite the situation.

They do look so much alike. It's the eyes. The eyes that are different. My Nathaniel's eyes are a lot softer.

"Monika," I shout.

My corporal form can burn, and so can hers.

"Children get back! Monika!"

I can't see her. Shit. Shit. I'm panicking, glancing back at the children, who cough but stand at a safe distance.

Then I see her. Rising, a thin layer of water covered her body.

"Nathaniel, get over here," she says softly, hovering above us. I look down at my hands. What a child he is.

Azareal. He looks at me with a simper. He addresses me as Slade, God of War.

And yet...he expects to kill me. Heh.

I shed my corporeal form, the burn of the fire much easier than the heat of this day. This day. This day is cursed.

I stand to my full height, my skin changing to its natural black, as I grow larger, shedding this mortal form. I look at Monika, who hovers next to my head.

Her eyes are focused on her son. Nathaniel. He has never admitted he likes her. But she...she sees herself in him. The way he feels abandoned the way he wants so desperately to love.

She...

"Nathaniel, I am talking to you. I am your mother you little shit, get over here!" She screams, her voice breaking.

Nathaniel says nothing, no words escape, but his eyes beg her to release him.

That woman keeps a grip on his shoulder. I will have to kill her. Nathaniel will be upset.

"This is why you hated me isn't it," Dion says softly.

Azareal turns his attention to him. "Hated you? Maybe I did. You told me you were Slade's son. You're not. You will never be his son, Dion you are human trash." He smiles softly. "But I enjoyed playing with you."

Dion sneers. "Azareal-"

I flap my wings, the wind dissipating the fire.

Azareal stumbles back. "How...it was fire."

I blink, before smiling. "I think...that woman wanted you to die, my son. Did she tell you fire would kill me?"

He lets out a short breath.

I chuckle. "I am a god. Nothing can kill me. No fire. No lightning. No sword. No cannon. No arrow. I sense you're disappointed,"

I tower over him in my Godly form, leaning down, my voice echoing in the throne room.

"So? As tall as you thought?"

He scrambles back. I look at Nathaniel. "You heard your mother. She told you to come. Why are you still standing there? Have you forgotten what this woman has done to you? To you both?"

Nathaniel swallows. "I..."

"Azareal, Nathaniel, let us leave this place," She yells hurriedly.

I narrow my eyes.

"I am going to kill that bitch," Monika growls, a thorn clamoring toward that woman, wrapping around her throat. And then they're gone.

All three of them. Monika stands, drawing her thorn to her face, a drop of blood stained on it. I shift, as she brings it to her lips.

"I am going to kill that bitch," she says again, calmly.

Then she smiles, that woman's blood on her tongue, content. Because she is going to kill that bitch.

And I know she is.

• • •

"What are we still doing here?" Dion rasps, sitting on the floor next to the throne.

"Our original purpose was to plunge the world into war to ensure we would be strong enough to defeat my progenitors," I explain.

Fallon sleeps on my shoulder. She crawled up my large frame hours ago, played with my hair, and then used it as a cover.

She has boundary issues. I adjust her calmly.

I need to change my form. I'm going to collapse this castle in a moment.

"That hasn't changed. We now have a new task. To retrieve Nathaniel."

Monika has been hovering with her eyes closed for an hour or so now. I leave her be.

Dion sighs. Solice runs his fingers through his hair.

"How didn't you know?" He asks softly.

I frown. "I...I'm not sure. Maybe because they're twins, Nathaniel and Azareal's energy may be too alike, and I didn't know to distinguish them."

I clench my jaw. "Either way, it's obviously that woman's fault. She cultivated that hatred in that child."

I swallow, pausing. Dion stands. "So what next?"

It's a good question. I pick up the crown from the floor, setting it on Dion's head.

"You were unjustly persecuted by this throne, because of me. It is your right to receive it. I want you, Solice, and Fallon to stay here, and rule this kingdom. Continue our original mission."

Dion touches the crown. "You mean? You trust me? Trust us to do that?"

I smile. "Of course. I know you will wage war well, my children. Monika and I will go retrieve Nathaniel."

I gather Monika into my arms, setting Fallon down gently.

"Father!"

I glance back. He looks at me, determined. "I will do you proud, father."

"I have no doubt you will."