95

When a god is killed their work must go to someone. I took a bit of a break, to care for my son and my wife. But now I must resume my duties.

Mine, Orion's, my father's and my mothers. It is my responsibility. Humans are lucky. They don't have a purpose, really. They do whatever they want and then they die.

I have very clear cut purposes. I thought for a moment I could live like that. Enjoy my family. Enjoy my wife. Enjoy my son. My children.

But it's back to work I go. It's my worth.

And the world will literally stop if I don't do what I'm supposed to. I sit in the room, plunged in darkness, my eyes closed as I move things around. Light, darkness, war, night. They all fall in my jurisdiction now. I could take a break from war, but if I can't keep the shadows from the night from escaping—

"Slade?"

Monika edges inside the room. I don't look back. My father's job was the night. He keeps the shadows where they belong. He brings the night and everything it stands for. I have never had to do this.

"I'm a bit busy right now," I murmur. Is it fighting me?

She floats in front of me with a concerned look. Our son rests in her arms.

She looks at my work. "This isn't war."

I shrug, continuing what I'm doing. I drag a shadow back to its place with a frown. They're strong.

Monika looks away for a moment. "He wants you. I...want you. You've been in this room for a while."

I wince, a shadow escaping my hold. I turn around with a frown.

"I—Monika, little wife I'm very busy right now and I can't stop what I'm doing to—" I pause before looking back. "If you need a break just leave him here."

She looks away. "And what about me?"

I clench my jaw. Doesn't she understand I'm doing this for us? Can't she just...do it alone? Just for a bit? Can't anyone just exist without needing me for even a little bit?

"What about you, Goddess? I don't have to parent you as well do I?"

Monika shrinks back, making me recoil. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I'm just a little stressed, Monika."

My wife nods and offers me a small smile. "I understand."

She doesn't. Still, she closes the door behind her as I sigh. I clench my jaw. I should get up. Go console her. I'm sure I...hurt her with my words. But the sun will rise soon.

I must continue my work. And so I do, the illusion of the half of the earth I'm working on illuminating once more in front of me, as I hunt down the shadows.

Time slips away from me, as I stay in my room, working, without stopping. I feel myself falling into some sort of trance, performing the same routines, day in, and day out.

Monika comes into the room quietly. Irritation seeps into my skin.

"Monika, I just told you—"

She purses her lips. I stop what I'm doing for a moment and look up at her. She's not looking at me, her gaze casts toward the wall. Her hair is longer.

How long have I been here?

"I'm sorry," she says softly. "I don't mean to bother you. I was wondering how you were."

It must not be too serious if Monika isn't reacting. Rather than distressed, she seems...nervous. Probably about interrupting my work.

"Just working," I offer, looking back at the globe. The sun has risen. I take a break, shaking out my hands.